A problem since we change our ftp to ftps

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

boco
Contributor

Re: A problem since we change our ftp to ftps

#31 Post by boco » 2009-08-08 16:04

It is a small, yet very effective way to encourage help requests without giving away the location of a server that some folks may run just for self/family/friends and don't want to expose that info to the general public.
Sorry to disappoint you, but EVERY server that is accessible from the internet WILL be found. The only thing you can do to protect against this is to not run a server in the first place.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#32 Post by redleg » 2009-08-08 17:31

boco wrote:
It is a small, yet very effective way to encourage help requests without giving away the location of a server that some folks may run just for self/family/friends and don't want to expose that info to the general public.
Sorry to disappoint you, but EVERY server that is accessible from the internet WILL be found. The only thing you can do to protect against this is to not run a server in the first place.
oh no, not disappointed at all- I know this to be fact (well, except for my servers) ;)

more to the point, however... refusing to assist those who have no desire to publish their full IP to a public forum is pretty stern, imo. especially when obfuscating the first two octets of the IP allows helpful folks to help them while at the same time keeps their (private vs public) server out of the mainstream view. To me its a simple compromise permitting required information only for effective troubleshooting versus requiring all information all the time.
Network Config Guide (setup & connection issues)
FileZilla wiki (FAQs, screenshots, & "got logs?" info:)
FTP server test (plain), FTP(E)S server test (encrypted)
FTP commands (see also List_of_FTP_server_return_codes)

boco
Contributor

#33 Post by boco » 2009-08-08 19:50

Obfuscating the first two octets always destroys the information, sorry.

Which one is the private IP, A or B?

obfuscated:
a) ***.***.5.25
b) ***.***.6.178
:? :? :? :(

unobfuscated:
a) 236.15.5.25
b) 192.168.6.178
:mrgreen: it's b)!!!!!111

See?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#34 Post by botg » 2009-08-08 19:54

I think I'll mod phpbb to always show the users complete IP address next to each post.

boco
Contributor

#35 Post by boco » 2009-08-08 19:58

At least for admins and mods.

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#36 Post by redleg » 2009-08-08 20:43

boco wrote:Obfuscating the first two octets always destroys the information, sorry.

Which one is the private IP, A or B?
does it matter which is which? If the server hiding behind router is having issue, it is simple enough to be verified when they describe their network, configurations and operating environment. If it looks like a server working with private IP when it should be a public that could be an issue, but easily resolved by asking to reveal full private IPs in any logs posted and obfuscate first two octets of public IPs.
botg wrote:I think I'll mod phpbb to always show the users complete IP address next to each post.
that doesn't bother me, but I don't see how that would help in troubleshooting server/client issues.

anyways, not trying to stir a hornets nest... just trying to be helpful, no agenda, no benefits gained for me one way or the other. I'll keep on keepin on and not be bothered by it.

Cypress
226 Transfer OK
First name: J

#37 Post by Cypress » 2009-08-08 21:17

redleg wrote:
botg wrote:I think I'll mod phpbb to always show the users complete IP address next to each post.
that doesn't bother me, but I don't see how that would help in troubleshooting server/client issues.
It could be helpful.. unless they are connected through a proxy or on a different ip address than the server.

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#38 Post by redleg » 2009-08-08 21:29

Cypress wrote:
redleg wrote:
It could be helpful.. unless they are connected through a proxy or on a different ip address than the server.
exactly why it wouldn't be very useful in troubleshooting client/server issues, except when assuming it is as you say it could be. perhaps there are other reasons for it though, none of which would bother me, I am neither for nor against adding poster IP to posts I just don't think it would have any benefit in assisting those seeking help by knowing their posting from IP.

Cypress
226 Transfer OK

#39 Post by Cypress » 2009-08-09 01:03

redleg wrote:exactly why it wouldn't be very useful in troubleshooting client/server issues, except when assuming it is as you say it could be. perhaps there are other reasons for it though, none of which would bother me, I am neither for nor against adding poster IP to posts I just don't think it would have any benefit in assisting those seeking help by knowing their posting from IP.
Example:
UserPost wrote: I have my server setup but I can't connect I have all the ports I setup up forwarded in my router setup.
The server is set to listen on port 21, the passive mode ports are 6790-7010. I have also configured my firewall(s) to allow those ports.

Any ideas why I can't connect..
-UserPost
Answer now:
Well, If you are sure you configured the firewalls and router correctly I would check to see if the listening socket is actually being created succesfully.
1. Open FileZilla Server Interface
2. Click the lightning bolt icon.
3. Click 'Yes'.
4. Click the lightning bolt icon. (Brings the server back online)

Check to see the last 3 lines in the interface match this:

Code: Select all

Server Offline
Creating listen socket on port 21...
Server online
If it says, 'failed to create listen socket on port 21' you probably have another program all ready listening on that port.
Try changing the listen port for FileZilla.
1. Open FileZilla Server Interface
2. Click Edit
3. Select Settings
4. Change the listen port from 21 to something else... 210,2121,etc.
5. Click okay.
6. Update firewall(s) / router
7. Test
#End Answer Now

IP of poster available(assumng server is at that IP):
Port scan port 21@ UserPost's IP.

Results of port scan:
Yes, UserPost's IP is listening on port 21.
Answer to UserPost= It appears there is a program all ready listening on port 21 of your server. <insert method to change listen port of FileZilla>

No, UserPost's IP is not listening on port 21.
Answer to UserPost = You need to check your configuration again(firewalls, router, etc).
#End of Example

Redleg, not to piss on your face(a.k.a no offense), feel free to proof-read your posts a few times to make sure it is clearly understandable. :?

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#40 Post by redleg » 2009-08-09 16:26

wow, do people actually say that (not to piss on your face)? lol, pretty damn crude thought if piss and face mean the same things where you come from as where I do..

anyways, no offense taken.

still, now you bring up a whole new scenario to justify having a posters IP included in their posts, that local help can scan their IP to try and detect anomalies?? lol, not.

You are still working off of an assumption "IP of poster available(assumng server is at that IP):" and that assumption is nothing but a waste of time and can hinder effective troubleshooting based on incorrect results stemming from that assumption.

but really, scan them to what end? just tell them to use the https://ftptest.net/ and post the logs from that host provided test site for that, why would you want to scan their IP for listening ports is beyond me.

The only reason I can see having IP in posts, from a troubleshooting standpoint, is to detect client/server/router confusion due to improper server configuration or router sabotage based on logs provided.. Look at IP in post and look at IPs in logs... and all this is going to lead to making assumption that they are (or should be) one and the same, or posting the question to confirm the IP is accurate and the same as where the server is located... otherwise it is still a guessing game from there and can lead to false assumptions...

not pissing on your face either, but that "scan their IP for them proactive troubleshooting" boat don't float. If the poster wants active troubleshooting, in the form of someone form this forum connecting to their server and reporting finds here then it would either be requested or the troubleshooter could make the offer, any out of the ordinary discoveries could be discussed from there.

it's all good to me Cypress, one way or the other. I will do what I do and others can chime in, correct my poor/inaccurate advice, give other options or whatever. I'm just here trying to help out because FZs and FZc are two products I appreciate and after years of use I think I might have something to add to the forums by helping where and when I can.

oh, and I do reread my posts- too many times before posting (and after) in fact. It probably lends reason to why they are so long and encompassing, I try to be clear, explain what may be going on that I based my recommendations on and cover the various options. besides just being wordy anyway... :)

boco
Contributor

#41 Post by boco » 2009-08-09 18:26

I can already see the IPs.

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#42 Post by redleg » 2009-08-09 18:48

boco wrote:I can already see the IPs.
??

boco
Contributor

#43 Post by boco » 2009-08-09 18:53

Admins and mods of this forums can already see the IP of every post.

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#44 Post by redleg » 2009-08-09 18:56

ok. is it helping yet? ;)

Cypress
226 Transfer OK

#45 Post by Cypress » 2009-08-09 23:21

redleg wrote: still, now you bring up a whole new scenario to justify having a posters IP included in their posts
You seemed to want an example as to why it "could" be helpful. I posted one.. notice the difference of the answers?
redleg wrote: , that local help can scan their IP to try and detect anomalies?? lol, not.
What "local help"... you mean filezilla forum readers?...............
redleg wrote: You are still working off of an assumption "IP of poster available(assuming server is at that IP):" and that assumption is nothing but a waste of time and can hinder effective troubleshooting based on incorrect results stemming from that assumption.
Was posted for a reason... not meant as an assumption by me, but that such was the case in the example. Sort of a case = true kinda thing.. simalar to a math problem where they tell you to assume the case is true because otherwise it screws the equation. :wink:
redleg wrote: but really, scan them to what end? just tell them to use the https://ftptest.net/ and post the logs from that host provided test site for that, why would you want to scan their IP for listening ports is beyond me.
Here is why you scan the port(SINGULAR idiot):
Point that ftp test script at an ACTIVE http server or for that matter anything OTHER than ftp server... This it what it says when I did that, "Error: Timeout. The server is too slow." WOW REALLY THAT IS A HELPFUL RESPONSE!
That page was such a great help... In my example that ftp test script is rather useless because it was ment to be a case where the port was all ready taken by another program.
redleg wrote:it's all good to me Cypress, one way or the other. I will do what I do and others can chime in, correct my poor/inaccurate advice, give other options or whatever. I'm just here trying to help out because FZs and FZc are two products I appreciate and after years of use
Wordy like you said.. not poor..
redleg wrote:I think I might have something to add to the forums by helping where and when I can.
Is this being helpful?(read below):

hmm... IP from these forums..
HOW?
1. Have a http server with logging abilites. (Even a free hosting account that shows access logs would work..)
2. Get a picture
3. use the IMG tags and put the picture in your signature
4. Be an active poster (If you want a lot of user's IPs)

Of course you wouldn't be able to pick up IP addresses from old posts but hey It shows if people want shit they can get it.. *cough* bots trolling over every address in the world *cough*
They will find you eventually :lol:

You said earlier you were neither for it, nor against it.. well, I'm against it might as well make people do somework if they want a useless address.