Cannot add users or read xml file

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

rbekey
500 Command not understood
First name: Ron
Last name: Bekey

Cannot add users or read xml file

#1 Post by rbekey » 2010-01-06 23:52

Hi,

I installed Filezilla server a few days ago, and it was working perfectly. I wrote a ColdFusion script to create user accounts by editing the FileZilla Server.xml file, and that worked perfectly too. I have the Task Scheduler in Windows set to reload the configuration file (with /reload-config) every 15 minutes in case there are new users, and that worked fine too.

Then this morning I needed to reboot my server for a different reason. After the reboot, the Filezilla Service is running, and I have no problem connecting to the server with the administrative program, but nothing works. I am running everything from the console on the server:

1) The administrative interface shows no groups and no users. When I try to add a new user, I get this message:

Protocol error: Invalid data, could not import account settings.
Could not change account settings

2) I tried deleting the existing Filezilla Server.xml file, and I get the same result as above. I also tried deleting both xml files, and it did not solve the problems.

I tried re-installing FileZilla, rebooting the server again, and I get the same results as above. Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks,

Ron

rbekey

Problem solved! Cannot add users or read xml file

#2 Post by rbekey » 2010-01-07 01:03

Problem solved!

I deleted the XML files one more time, and the error went away. I also discovered I had an error in my ColdFusion script which was inserting one stray line of code in the XML, resulting in a misread of the whole file. Thanks for creating an excellent piece of software!

Ron

tenderedge
First name: Jason
Last name: Lyons

Re: Cannot add users or read xml file

#3 Post by tenderedge » 2010-05-28 03:59

Hi Ron,

Do you think I could get a copy of your code?

I'm very interested in doing this myself.

Regards,

J

rbekey

#4 Post by rbekey » 2010-06-01 00:47

This is the code I used. It is very specific to the code I use for classes I teach, but you may find parts of it useful. Please do not ask for support in modifying this--I do not have time, sorry. Disclaimer: This code was not intended for distribution, and I make no warranty that it will work for any purpose.

<!--- confirm home folder exists --->

<!--- note: xxx and yyy represent directories on my server.

<cfset ThisDir="c:\InetPub\xxx\yyy\#session.userid#">

<cfif Not DirectoryExists(#ThisDir#)>
<p></p>
<font size="+1">Home directory <b><cfoutput>#session.userid#</cfoutput></b> does not exist.</font>
<p></p>
<hr>
<cfabort>
</cfif>

<!--- see if FTP account already exists --->
<cffile action="read" file="C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\FileZilla Server.xml"
variable="xmldoc">

<cfif Find('<User Name="#session.userid#">',xmldoc) GT 0>
<font size="+1">There is already an FTP account for <cfoutput><b>#session.userid#</b></cfoutput>. You do not need to run this file.</b> You are now ready to FTP.</font>
<cfabort>
</cfif>

<!--- Define constants --->
<cfset variables.Lf = chr(10)>
<cfset variables.CrLf = Chr(13) & Chr(10)>
<cfset variables.tab = Chr(9)>

<!--- Get username and password --->

<cfset username="#session.userid#">

<!--- datasource is the name of your datasource. --->

<cfquery name="getpassword" datasource="datasource1">
SELECT password
FROM tblData
WHERE tblData.userid='#session.userid#';
</cfquery>

<!--- Note: xxxxx represents the string of characters I used for encrypting the password in my database. --->

<cftry>
<cfset variables.decryptpwd=Decrypt(getpassword.password,'xxxxx')>
<cfcatch type = "any">
An error occurred while trying to create your FTP account. Please <a href="ftpadduser.cfm">Try again</a>.
<cfabort>
</cfcatch>

</cftry>

<p></p>

<cfset password="#variables.decryptpwd#">
<cfset password=Hash(password)>
<cfset password=LCase(password)>

<!--- insert data in XML file --->

<!--- usertext.xml is a file I created with information for a user with the settings I wanted, based on one I created manually with the Filezilla interface. I copied and pasted the code from the XML file. --->

<cffile action="read" file="C:\Inetpub\xxx\yyy\usertext.xml"
variable="usertext">

<cfset strText = Insert('#CrLf##CrLf##tab##tab#<User Name="#username#">#CrLf##tab##tab#<Option Name="Pass">#password#</Option>#CrLf##usertext#',xmldoc,Find("<Users>",xmldoc)+6)>

<cfset strText=Replace(strText,"tempname","#username#")>

<cffile action="write" file="C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\FileZilla Server.xml" output="#strText#">

<!--- verify new data is in file now --->
<cffile action="read" file="C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\FileZilla Server.xml"
variable="xmldoc">

<cfif Find("#session.userid#",xmldoc) GT 0>
<font size="+1">FTP account for <b><cfoutput>#username#</cfoutput></b> created!

<cfelse>
<b>There was an error in creating your FTP account. Please try to run this file again.</b>
</cfif>
tenderedge wrote:Hi Ron,

Do you think I could get a copy of your code?

I'm very interested in doing this myself.

Regards,

J

tenderedge
First name: Jason
Last name: Lyons

#5 Post by tenderedge » 2010-06-04 06:39

Brilliant! Thanks mate,

I made a few changes. But works like a charm.

Many thanks,

J