Managing new users via the xml file (how to reload?)

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

drothman66
500 Command not understood

Managing new users via the xml file (how to reload?)

#1 Post by drothman66 » 2010-01-11 18:17

I'm using Vista and am having a few problems managing the filezilla server.xml file.

i'd like to eventually populate the file programmatically (perl) with new users.

in playing with this, i'm simply editing the file and copying the chunks of code for a user and changing that user's name, but i can't seem to get he reload to work in Vista correctly.

do i edit the desktop short cut? ("c:\program files.... " /reload-config doesn't work

nor can i get a batch file which travels to the correct folder to do the reload.

part of the problem is the spaces used in the filename. i've renamed the files (w/o spaces), but still cannot get this to work.

i'm sure it something simple, but i don't see a simply way to reload. can someone help? thanks

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Managing new users via the xml file (how to reload?)

#2 Post by botg » 2010-01-11 19:33

Is the program writing the settings file UAC capable?

drothman66

#3 Post by drothman66 » 2010-01-11 20:32

ugh...thanks...was using a text editor...

i can see the tags in Word, but dont see an obvious way of copying users.

Is there a simple way of adding say 100 usernames and passwords and home directories?

i saw one post where someone was thinking of a command line tool to add 1 at a time and a batch file or perl script to wrap around that tool would be easy.

do u know if something like that exists or if there is another simple way to build up a userbase? thanks

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2010-01-11 21:59

Fastest would be if you would simply write your own script. Adapting existing scripts to your particular needs would most likely be more work.

drothman66

#5 Post by drothman66 » 2010-01-12 16:41

botg wrote:Fastest would be if you would simply write your own script. Adapting existing scripts to your particular needs would most likely be more work.
Is there a repository of perl scripts around that deal with updating the .xml file? Something i could adapt?

Are there any command line programs around which add users? Is the only way to add a set of users to manually type them in?

Or is there an XML editor which will essentially allow me to cut and paste additional users?

thanks...