One shortcut works, but another doesn't

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

reekoh
500 Command not understood

One shortcut works, but another doesn't

#1 Post by reekoh » 2004-04-21 12:54

Hi there, I've got a strange problem with Filezilla server. I've gone through the some of the posts regarding the use of .LNK files.

I have a folder called d:/ftp which I make into the home folder in FileZilla Server user settings. Then I create a shortcut to d:/folderX and put it into d:/ftp. I make sure that I give it all the permissions in the filezilla server user settings. Works fine. The client gets a shortcut to c:/folderX which is fully functional.

Then I do the exact same thing for c:/folderY (note the different partition of my hard drive that i am linking to). Again, I give the user all the permissions to that folder. But this time, the ftp client just doesn't show the shortcut.

Naturally, I've checked off "resolve windows shortcuts", and since I am able to successfully create a shortcut for one folder, I can't figure out why I can't create a shortcut to the other folder. Is this a an issue with different drive letters? (i.e. c: vs. d: ). Does the "Home Folder" need to be in the same drive as the shortcuts that it is pointing to?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

Re: One shortcut works, but another doesn't

#2 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2004-05-07 13:48

reekoh wrote:Hi there, I've got a strange problem with Filezilla server. I've gone through the some of the posts regarding the use of .LNK files.

I have a folder called d:/ftp which I make into the home folder in FileZilla Server user settings. Then I create a shortcut to d:/folderX and put it into d:/ftp. I make sure that I give it all the permissions in the filezilla server user settings. Works fine. The client gets a shortcut to c:/folderX which is fully functional.

Then I do the exact same thing for c:/folderY (note the different partition of my hard drive that i am linking to). Again, I give the user all the permissions to that folder. But this time, the ftp client just doesn't show the shortcut.

Naturally, I've checked off "resolve windows shortcuts", and since I am able to successfully create a shortcut for one folder, I can't figure out why I can't create a shortcut to the other folder. Is this a an issue with different drive letters? (i.e. c: vs. d: ). Does the "Home Folder" need to be in the same drive as the shortcuts that it is pointing to?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
It took me a while to figure the whole concept of using shortcuts myself. And now that I understand it more clearly, I can without a doubt assure you that shortcuts to other drives is indeed possible. It would be really nice to have found some documentation of FZS, or at least a FAQ on it -- if either exists, they are impossible to locate. Anyway, here's what to do (and this will work either for a GROUP or for a USER).

1) Create your physical ftp root directory (a.k.a. home directory). In this example, I will be using C:\TEMP\ftproot

2) Add this directory to your USER/GROUP with appropriate permissions. I would recommend only enabling READ, LIST, and + SUBDIRS.

3) From Windows Explorer, create a shortcut to the path you want to allow access to, and place this shortcut into the home directory. In this example, I will be using a shortcut called "MP3" that points physically to F:\TEMP\MP3 -- note that you can name the shortcut anything -- it doesn't have to be the same name as the directory it points to.

screenshot

4) (This is what took me the longest to figure out) Add the physical directory (F:\TEMP\MP3) to your USER/GROUP with appropriate permissions. Again, READ, LIST and + SUBDIRS should suffice for most items. Only enable WRITE, CREATE, DELETE and/or APPEND permissions to those files/directories that require them.

screenshot

In essence, to make a shortcut appear in FZS, you need to assign the applicable access rights to the physical location that the shortcut points to.

If you're still having an issue adding a directory on a different drive, please post some specifics about your setup including which version of FZS you are running. BTW, are the filesystems identical for your C: and D: partitions (eg. is your D: drive maybe FAT32 instead of NTFS)?

HTH,
TheAngryPenguin