Installed. How To Test It?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

abrogard
500 Syntax error
First name: arthur
Last name: brogard

Installed. How To Test It?

#1 Post by abrogard » 2010-09-09 23:48

I've installed the Server - now I don't know how to test it.

And I don't know what my ftp address would be so's I could send it to a friend and ask them to test it.

My server is running on my machine here at home. I have a LAN here. The server address in the configuration was suggested as 127.0.0.1, the localhost address, and I accepted that.

Do I have an FTP server reachable from outside the LAN?

What would my address be?

My IP from outside the LAN is 203.171.115.83

regards,

ab

p.s. I have IIS installed and I got halfway through installing Microsoft's FTP on that server and then abandoned it because they made it too hard - asked me all these questions I couldn't answer. Will that aborted installation conflict with FileZilla at all?

(runing winxp sp3)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Installed. How To Test It?

#2 Post by botg » 2010-09-10 06:12

abrogard wrote: Do I have an FTP server reachable from outside the LAN?

What would my address be?

My IP from outside the LAN is 203.171.115.83
That.

You can use https://ftptest.net// to test your server.

abrogard
500 Syntax error
First name: arthur
Last name: brogard

#3 Post by abrogard » 2010-09-10 07:51

Ah, okay, thank you, I tested it and it seems okay. Which I don't quite understand because I don't quite follow the blurb about using custom PASV settings if you're behind a firewall or NAT.

well I'm behind a NAT but I'm using default on that page and apparently connecting okay.

Sorry to appear so dumb with my first question - I was expecting something like ftp.somedomain.com and couldn't see what domain I'd be and so on...... didn't occur to me it'd be as simple as that.

I will go have a good look through your FAQ and such - I want to know which directory the user finds himself in when he logs on....... and what powers he has.......

:)

you didn't mention if the MS semi install I did would interfere. I notice the ftp test got a "..reply 220 Microsoft FTP service" is that to be expected or does that mean I didn't connect to the filezilla service?

Yes, apparently it does. I went into IIS and tried to configure the 'message' and rename the service. Then I tried the tester. This time it failed. It said that it received a carriage return without a line feed and suggested I upgrade my server.

I went back and tried to undo the changes I'd made and ensure there were no carriage returns without line feeds (as though I could) but nothing I could do would fix it.

So now I guess I've got to figure out how to uninstall MS IIS FTP... and then I might be able to connect to filezilla ftp.... ?

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2010-09-10 23:35

well I'm behind a NAT but I'm using default on that page and apparently connecting okay.
You have a malicious router sniffing FTP traffic and silently exchanging IPs. Read the chapter about bad routers in the Network Configuration guide.
you didn't mention if the MS semi install I did would interfere. I notice the ftp test got a "..reply 220 Microsoft FTP service" is that to be expected or does that mean I didn't connect to the filezilla service?
The latter. The rogue Microsoft FTP server blocks FZ Server's port. You must uninstall it (or at least shut it down).
It said that it received a carriage return without a line feed and suggested I upgrade my server.
What did it display as the server's Welcome message?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org