Unusual request!

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

busby
550 Permission denied
First name: Paul
Last name: Aldridge

Unusual request!

#1 Post by busby » 2011-05-05 21:12

I have a windows server onto which a number of artists upload their music via ftp.

What I want to do is set up a facility to put a player on my site which will allow members of the public to listen to the music [stream] without downloading it..

Can anyone tell me if this would be possible using Filezilla, and if so, how please..

I really don't want to enable web services because last time I did that I got hacked :(

boco
Contributor

Re: Unusual request!

#2 Post by boco » 2011-05-06 05:50

No, FTP is not a suitable protocol for streaming.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

busby
550 Permission denied

#3 Post by busby » 2011-05-06 09:11

OK, many thanks for your answer..

Any suggestions, as a complete novice with servers, how I can stream securely please?

cooperspc
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by cooperspc » 2011-05-15 01:26

great little software , using it for years, works on Apache and IIS with PHP
http://www.pancake.org/zina

busby
550 Permission denied

#5 Post by busby » 2011-05-15 10:18

cooperspc wrote:great little software , using it for years, works on Apache and IIS with PHP
http://www.pancake.org/zina
Thanks for that - looks like a nice peice of software..

I was hoping for a solution without Apache or IIS because I have been hacked previously..

cooperspc
226 Transfer OK

#6 Post by cooperspc » 2011-05-15 15:45

most hacks come from poor passwords and/or mysql exploits of poorly written software, or missed updates
1)Always remember to use Great passwords on computers that are going to be servers
..........write down the password on a piece of paper and stick it to the computer or your monitor.....what is the odd the hacker is using your computer :roll: > never use a file to keep track of passwords :oops:
2)Disable the standard Administrator logins, or give it access to nothing
..........you can not STOP hack robots or hackers, so give them something useless to play with...hopefully they will move on :x

It is normal to get hit by bots, just use do diligence and common sense to keep as save as possible

AND ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP, at least DAILY
another software to look into Cobian Backup, been using his for years too....
I JUST LOVE GREAT FREE SOFTWARE, and always tip your Free software developer, they all take donations
FYI, FileZilla is one of them

busby
550 Permission denied

#7 Post by busby » 2011-05-15 17:55

Thanks for the reply cooperspc..

I currently have a shared hosting package with a well known host but they are wingeing that I am using too many server resources and I should move to a dedicated server..

I also have 2 dedicated servers running Win 2003 for my radio station, but had them both hacked prevoiusly as soon as I enable web services, so I am reluctant to do that again. Maybe I am just unlucky..

When I view the logs in Filezilla I often see hacking attempts, including from the port scanner W00tW00t which was used the last time to bring down my server..