FileZilla Server Cant Create Socket with IE/Explorer

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

mikeloeven
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: mike
Last name: loeven

FileZilla Server Cant Create Socket with IE/Explorer

#1 Post by mikeloeven » 2011-10-19 15:57

strange issue with my ftpserver. any time i try to login from IE or Explorer. i get a cannot create socket error.

on the other hand if i login using the same exact address and port from the filezilla client it works fine
i have tested it with ftp and secure ftp both implicit and explicit as well as unsecure ftp and it works fine using filezilla client.

so why is it that my server is properly configured all the accounts and connection methods are working. but i cant connect via internet explorer and or Explorer.

normally this wouldn't be an issue because i would just use a FTP client that has TLS support. but i have a network device that can only upload files using simple firmware FTP so i am unable to configure it for TLS.

Note Just tested Windows Command Line Ftp Client. This Also Works normally :/

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla Server Cant Create Socket with IE/Explorer

#2 Post by botg » 2011-10-19 20:06

Can you please post complete logs?

mikeloeven

#3 Post by mikeloeven » 2011-10-20 13:07

Here you go
i also attached the server configuration file though the password hashes were deleted for obvious reasons
Attachments
FileZilla Server.log
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
FileZilla Server Config.xml
(14.75 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2011-10-20 18:13

Your configuration is not correct.

Server listening port is 667, and the Implicit port is 666, right? That configuration occupies these two ports and makes them unavailable as Passive data ports.
Your Passive port range is set as 666-667. Notice something? Correct: You have NO free ports for data transfers. This explains the ''Can't create socket'' message. Solution: Reconfigure the Custom port range as follows:
-should be in the high region starting with port 50000, there the ports are not assigned to anything else, and
-minimum is 50 ports, the more the better.

That range has to be opened in the firewall and forwarded in the router (TCP only), if you desire external access.

Next, custom IP. You have set 192.168.1.232, which is in a private range (IPv4 Class C) and thus not valid for the internet. You have to configure the external IP here, I recommend using the ''Retrieve'' option with the default server.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

mikeloeven

#5 Post by mikeloeven » 2011-10-21 14:37

oh thanks i guess i have been using TLS for so long i forgot that you needed a plain port