No access from the internet

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

aqt
500 Command not understood

No access from the internet

#1 Post by aqt » 2006-05-15 08:54

Hello, I have the following problem.

I can easily connect to my FTP server from within my network, but seem to have an issue doing so from through the internet.

Here is my configuration:

The FileZilla FTP server is installed on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with disabled Windows Firewall.

Within the FileZilla server configuration, I checked off "Use the following IP:" under the passive mode and entered my external IP address (obtained from http://www.whatismyip.com).
Currently, my network is running behind an ASUS WL500g wireless router. So I went into the port forwarding section and set port 21 as the start port, 21 as the end port, set TCP/UDP as my protocol, and then directed the packets to 192.168.1.3, which is the server. Additionally I set the computer (192.168.1.3) as virtual DMZ and all ports are open to the internet.

Despite all of these efforts, however, I still am having problems. If, for example, I try to connect to the server from my laptop (which is on my network), and I type from MS IE

ftp://my external IP

I get the following message: "the folder ftp:// my external ip is read only because the proxy server is not set up to allow full access. This is probably because my laptop is behind another proxy. But other people from internet cannot connect at all.

Any ideas?

Thank you

cszeto
226 Transfer OK

#2 Post by cszeto » 2006-05-26 01:07

It's IE and probably faulty coding on their part when it comes to how it handles its proxy configurations. It looks like it does not necessarily clear its proxy settings, even when you disable it. A little bit of "Broken Alarm" syndrome...

One way to force a "clear" seems to be - entering into the advance properties of the proxy settings, making a manual exclusion of the IP range(s), apply them and then you can clear the proxy settings correctly.

This was "worked" through on IE 6 with SP1.

It might also work by closing all IE sessions and/or rebooting too, but I tend to not do either unless I absolutely have to - lazy on my part... Bottom line, it's a client issue, nothing to do with the server.
Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2006-05-26 07:22

If you're trying to connect from within your own network, you have to use your internal IP address. Only if you truly connect from the outside your external IP address has to be used.
I recommend to disable this strange "virtual DMZ" stuff and forward a port range manually, this usually gives better results.

cszeto
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by cszeto » 2006-05-26 07:27

Loop-back functionality is hit-or-miss across the SOHO routers.
Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)