Newbie questions - linksys modem/router

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

TedT
500 Command not understood

Newbie questions - linksys modem/router

#1 Post by TedT » 2006-06-25 19:04

Hi,
I am new to FTP serving. I want to have an FTP site for some customers to upload and download files.

So I have a Linksys Cable Modem (BEFCMU10) and a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GL) with 4 hardwired ports.

1) On the router, I have gone to the "Application and games" screen where one can enter port range forwardng. I have entered 2 new lines:
Line 1) App=Filezilla, Start=21, end=21, protocol=TCP & UDP, IP=my computer's (server) IP = 192.168.1.103.
Line 2) App=Filezilla, start=5000, end=5100, protocol=TCP & UDP, IP=my computer's (server) IP = 192.168.1.103.

2) In "Filezilla Server" on my server computer, under settings the only thing I have changed is the "Passive mode settings" - checked "Don't use external IP for local connections" and checked "Use custom port range" and entered "5000" to "5100".

I have not checked "use the following IP:" - should I use this to enter an IP address?

Also, I have allowed port 21 in Microsoft's firewall program on y server computer.

I assume this is all I need to do?

I have one dumb question - what is the IP address I try to FTP to from the outside, the IP of my cable modem, or the IP of my server?

Thanks
TedT

avibp
500 Command not understood

#2 Post by avibp » 2006-06-29 07:05

I am new to this FTP server side of things too.

I found this link in the Filezilla help pages to find your correct IP address.

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/misc/ip.php

Its not your router or your default gateway (which I believe is your modems IP address). I think it is assigned via your ISP.

I cant answer your question but, ;-) there is the solution.

Good Luck.