Shared folders... Plural? More than one? No. Just one.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

phantom
500 Command not understood

Shared folders... Plural? More than one? No. Just one.

#1 Post by phantom » 2006-07-28 05:19

I'm switching over from CesarFTP to FileZilla.. I'm trying to allow a user, in this case "demo", access to more than one folder; D:\hosted\demo and D:\hosted\logs\Demo. Aside from not being able to name what these are shown to the demo user, the root dir is inside the first folder, D:\hosted\demo, and thus the demo user is entirely incapable of accessing the other folder. Would this be one bug, or two? How do I work around it/them?

Or perhaps "Shared folders" is a typo and it is actually supposed to say "Shared folder" since you can in fact only share one single folder..

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2006-07-28 08:59

You'll have to use aliases, read the FAQ for details.

phantom
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by phantom » 2006-07-28 12:11

How do aliases work?
Let's assume you have two shared folders: c:\ftproot is your homedir and d:\myfiles is the second one.
In order to display an alias to d:\myfiles in your homedir, add /myalias as alias in the second column to the right of d:\myfiles. A new folder with the name myalias will appear in your homedir with the contents of d:\myfiles
Problem is, I cannot set an alias for the homedir. I want to have it so I share two folders, and when a client logs in it sees just the two folders I shared. Does not start off in any real folder. I am having trouble understanding how this can be done without putting one folder into another (even though it's not really there), which it looks like that's all aliases can do.

I have another question too, is it possible to hide certain files and folders contained within a shared folder from being accessible to the client?

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2006-07-29 00:08

The home directory has to exist, I think, but can be empty.
Then configure your two directories with aliases.

Set only list permission on the homedir.

Set whatever permissions you want on the other dirs.

Result: You see only two directories when you connect, the ones you configured.

boco