Getting it to work with firefox

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jackhandsome
504 Command not implemented

Getting it to work with firefox

#1 Post by jackhandsome » 2006-09-11 17:56

I have been using filezilla for awhile now and it works great with Internet Explorer, but everytime a customer is trying to use firefox it does the following: If they drag and drop it doesn't copy the file over but just opens the file instead, and copy and paste won't work either.. Are there settings in firefox that I can change or would the changes need to be made in filezilla?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2006-09-11 23:16

Please use a real ftp client instead, web browsers aren't very well suited for FTP connections.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2006-09-12 03:46

For Firefox, I would recommend the FireFTP extension.

boco

jackhandsome

#4 Post by jackhandsome » 2006-09-12 13:55

Use a real FTP client? In a business environment you cannot have all 1,000+ customers use an FTP client as it's not feasible... You are telling me noone has ran into this problem and figured out a setting in Firefox to allow this? I find that hard to believe.. Also, the FTP plugin for Firefox does not show any directories when you log on to it...

coteesh

#5 Post by coteesh » 2006-09-30 16:55

This is not an FTP server problem (hint, wrong website for complaining...), it's a Firefox problem and the age old problem that common software found on client computers simply is not designed to be as easy as possible to use to do everything you might expect. Tell your clients that they should use Internet Explorer (sigh, the spyware/malware magnet) to do FTP and that they should go to the Tools > Advanced > and uncheck the "Use Passive FTP" option so that FTP will work behind a router or whatever. Firefox presently lists FTP sites as a list of URL's (REGARDLESS OF WHAT SERVER SOFTWARE IS RUNNING), useless if you want to drag and drop. At least IE lets you drag and drop. By the way, I hate IE, with kids in the family + IE = fuked up computer in 3 months or less. Every time I set up a computer for a family with kids that browse popular culture websites I set IE to maximum security settings (I don't disable IE because fukin MSN messenger requires it to be active, and of course the kids NEED MSN in this Microsoft driven world... try and tell them to use an MSN clone, they will eventually download the newest MSN client because of all the new fukin smily face features anyways) and delete all shortcuts to IE and make Firefox the default browser, and for windows updates I use http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ or I might just leave the XP firewall and disable windows update all together (friggen updates sometimes cause issues), and make Zoom Player and Winamp 2.92 their default media players because Win Media Player is also a magnet for getting a computer buggered up with viri. (end MS rant)

Felipe
450 Internal Error

#6 Post by Felipe » 2006-10-03 22:59

fireftp really is an exellent extension for FX.
Felipe Alvarez's website