Tiered Upload Options

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Bad-Karma
500 Command not understood
First name: Jeff
Last name: Lower

Tiered Upload Options

#1 Post by Bad-Karma » 2014-01-13 18:45

I have feature idea/request:

I obtained a 500~ slot Quantum Scalar I2K from a DRMO auction. I've been using it Fibre Channeled directly to my file (& FTP) server. The I2K shows up as a single 1.3PB drive to Windows Server 2012. I'm currently using to store my Blu-Ray/DVD ISO collection to serve my HTPC, but would like to also to utilize it with my FTP. It has its own tiering software. So when you call for a file it grabs the tape and then loads it to a hard drive which makes the file available. Still, even once it is on the drive, uploading is a bit labored. After a file has seen little activity it then eliminates it from the drive until it is needed once again and is brought forward off of the tape.

What I have found is that even with a dedicated SAS controller running 7200RPM drives in RAID 60, Filezilla still gets better upload throughput if the file(s) come off of an SSD or even better from a RAMDisk.

I would like to incorporate something similar with Filezilla. What I was wondering is if there is any way to have a feature that once the client selects to download the file, Filezilla could then copy it to the appropriate drive before the upload begins. Then wipe it/them once complete after a specified wait time (in case the file may need to be re-downloaded).

preferential.
1.) Ramdisk - if less than a 32GB file
2.) SSD - If over 32GB (up to drive capacity)
3.) If drives from 1 or 2 happen to be full or occupied then pull from original location.