still cannot see network resources in domain

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ttx336
500 Command not understood
First name: Gary
Last name: Britton

still cannot see network resources in domain

#1 Post by ttx336 » 2015-04-24 17:25

I followed the instructions in this post: viewtopic.php?t=9200 as best I can. Since this was written with XP in mind it mentions adding Network Places in a way that was done in XP, still it is possible in Windows 7, however I could never figure out how to do it at an elevated privilege level as is discussed in another thread that I quote near the end of this post.
Big Deal #1
Permissions. You need to set FileZilla Server to run as a different user. This is not the whole puzzle, however, so simply running FZS under your normal administrator account will not solve your problem. To accomplish this is easy enough. Go to your Control Panel and open Administrative Tools. Open Services and locate the FileZilla Server row. Open the properties page for it (double-click) and go to the Log On tab. Enter a local username and password here that you wish to use. I strongly suggest you make a new user account for this task. Make it an administrator to start with just so you know it works...do proper security later. You will need to restart the FileZilla Server service for this to take effect.
I did this, I created a user called FileZilla, actually... I have also tried starting the service with my Windows credentials that are on the domain controller as well as using the local user. I see the same choices in the server user's configuration either way.
Big Deal #2
Mapped drives aren't good enough. You need to set up the remote folder as a network location. To do this, you have to go to My Network Places. You can get to that (in XP/Server2k3) by going to your Control Panel, opening Network Connections, and clicking on My Network Places in the bar to the left. It's the Other Places group--expand it if it is closed. Once you're there, again look to the left bar thing and click on Add a Network Place. Go through the wizard and provide the network URL for what you want to share where appropriate. Name it anything you feel like.
I made a Network Place in Windows 7 but I cannot see that as an option in the user configuration page in the server settings. I have also tried full UNC paths but that doesn't work, I can type them in, but I cannot see them from the client side. Same thing that happens when I try using a mapped drive, which, of course, as is explicitly stated above, does not work.
Big Deal #3
Share your new "Network Location" that you made. In FileZilla Server, when you add a folder for a user you can scroll past the local drives to the Network Locations node. Expand it and locate the network place you setup. Select it and use it like you were intending to use your mapped drive.
This I do not see... there is no Network Locations node listed, perhaps because I am using Windows 7. I expected to see my new Network Place listed under Computer as it in in Explorer but it is not there nor is it listed under Network.

I found this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=117538#p117538
boco wrote:FileZilla Server starts under the user you selected, but with elevated rights (Highest). The network associations you set in Explorer usually are created with standard permissions (without UAC prompt). Both permission levels are completely separate.

Please try to establish them using a command line shell with administrative permissions (Run as Administrator), using the "net use" command.
but I do not know how to create a Network Place from the command line, if in fact, that is what's required... net use will just get me a mapped drive, which I don't want. When I type net use from the command line, both in elevated and normal level, I see the same resources listed.
Big Deal #4
More permissions. It isn't good enough to just do the things above. You must also go to the computer you are sharing a resource from (the server your network resource is on) and create a user account with the same username and password as the one you made for FileZilla Server. You're still not done. You must grant that user account both sharing and file permissions on the folder you're trying to share across the network. Start with Full Control just so you know that you're working so far. Peel away permissions after you've successfully made your first test.
I have an account on the domain and can access all of the server resources and have the necessary permissions.
Ok, so why does this happen? Mapped drives aren't good enough because effectively they don't exist as far as a service is concerned (extreme oversimplification...I know). You also have to setup the user accounts so that both the file server and FTP server are "on the same page" as far as permissions are concerned. With file permissions explicitly defined and using network places (that do work) instead of mapped drives, your FTP server will be able to access the network resource as you expect.
It seems that this is where I am getting hung up since I cannot see the Network Place that I create in Windows.