Does FileZilla Server support Windows XP SP3?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

elroch
500 Command not understood
First name: Eric
Last name: Lobenstine

Does FileZilla Server support Windows XP SP3?

#1 Post by elroch » 2016-02-12 17:56

Looking for an FTP/SFTP server that I can run on a set of Windows XP systems on a private network within a University. What Windows OSes does the current version support? IF the current version does NOT support Windows XP, can I download an older version of the FileZilla server that works on Windows XP SP3?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Does FileZilla Server support Windows XP SP3?

#2 Post by botg » 2016-02-12 21:15

You must update to a more modern operating system. Windows XP no longer receives security updates and contains numerous critical security vulnerabilities exploited in the wild. It simply _MUST NOT_ be used in a networked environment anymore.

elroch

#3 Post by elroch » 2016-02-12 21:49

I'll take that as a NO! However, before you condemn Windows XP as an instrument control computer:
1) These computers are on a private network, which is not accessible to the outside world, nor can the computers access the network outside the University.
2) These machines serve to control (collectively) about $2.5M of research equipment. The cost for upgrading the control computers to Win7 would be prohibitive - about $5000 each (in software and licensing) for 3 separate instruments, as well as tens of thousands for upgrades to the instruments themselves.
3) I do know what I'm doing - I've been the sysadmin and network manager for the Chemistry Department for about 15 years now.

Thanks for your emphatic reply!

cheers,

Eric Lobenstine, Ph.D.
Chemistry Department
Univ. of Rochester

elroch

#4 Post by elroch » 2016-02-12 21:51

So, I'll repeat my last question - is there a version of FileZilla SFTP server that works with Windows XP?

Cheers,

Eric Lobenstine

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2016-02-12 22:00

0.9.41 was the last version that worked on XP. But it is now dangerous to run it in a networked environment as it contains non-patched security vulnerabilities.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2016-02-12 22:02

So, I'll repeat my last question - is there a version of FileZilla SFTP server that works with Windows XP?
FileZilla Server didn't and doesn't support SFTP. It only supports FTP and FTPS. Despite the similarity in name and purpose, FTPS (FTP over TLS) and SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) have absolutely nothing in common.

FileZilla Server no longer supports Windows XP. All support for Windows XP has been dropped 2014-04-08.
The cost for upgrading the control computers to Win7 would be prohibitive - about $5000 each (in software and licensing) for 3 separate instruments
There are software licenses out there that say that you must run XP and are not allowed to update without paying thousands of bucks?

It can't be a technical issue either, Windows itself is amazingly backwards compatible. Even software written for Windows 95 runs just fine on a modern Windows 10. If using high quality software (you should be able to expect supreme quality if you payed much money for it) you shouldn't have any issue updating from XP to 7.
as well as tens of thousands for upgrades to the instruments themselves.
Why would you need to update your instruments?

That doesn't seem plausible.

markem
504 Command not implemented

#7 Post by markem » 2019-12-14 03:15

The simple answer is "yes, it does".

Where? Well, whether or not the FileZilla people WANT you to use the XP version or no - it is available. You can get it from places around the internet.

Sometimes, the FileZilla people become very narrow minded. Windows XP DOES SUPPORT SLS/TLS, SSL, SCP,
and many other sercurity ways of doing things like coping files. They also forget that sometimes people are
FORCED to go back to older systems.

I am not saying the FileZilla people have to SUPPORT older versions - but they should be made available.

I still use it without problems.

Later!
Mark E Manning

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2019-12-14 09:28

How are you forced? At gunpoint or under torture?

If not, don't use XP. It's as simple as that. End of discussion.