Access denied at 100% big file fast connection

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tedych
426 Connection timed out
First name: Teo
Last name: Meo

Access denied at 100% big file fast connection

#1 Post by tedych » 2017-01-18 22:46

In my home gigabit network I have a server with FZ Server (last version as of few days ago), and a computer with FZ client (3.23.0.2).
FZ Server is on a Win server 2008 R2, client is Win7, both x64.
When I upload a big file on the server (say, 3+GB), the initial speed is about 100-110MB/s, then after 15-20 seconds it drops to about 60-70MB/s (I upload big backups to a HDD) and when it reaches 100%, it gets stuck for few moments, it seems the server keeps writing to the file, the network is not under load, and when ready (the server stops writing the file), I see this in the FZ client log, as in this picture.
If I upload smaller files (up to say, 1-2GB maybe) there is no problem. All files (even the biggest) seem to be transferred fine when I check them directly on the server with Remote desktop, but this error is annoying.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Access denied at 100% big file fast connection

#2 Post by botg » 2017-01-19 08:29

550 Permission denied at the end of a very long transfer, that's not something that can happen with FileZilla Server. Could there be a firewall or virus scanner injecting fake replies?

Try using FTP over TLS to prevent firewalls and virus scanners from interfering with the data.

tedych
426 Connection timed out
First name: Teo
Last name: Meo

Re: Access denied at 100% big file fast connection

#3 Post by tedych » 2017-01-19 09:38

There is the Windows Firewall active, and FZ programs have full access everywhere, in and out.
No antivirus anywhere, never had been.
Files up to about 2GB transfer without issues.
I use plain FTP because it is a local server in my network.
Now I tested to limit the upload speed to a safe 40MiB/s, and uploaded 3GB file and there was no error! I removed the limit and the same file caused the same error behavior at the end.
I think there is some timeout or something that the FZ Server enters when the cache at the end is being written by the OS to the file itself (and the transfer seems stuck at 100% for the time being). Maybe if FZ Server had an option to disable/bypass OS caching when reading/writing files just like a torrent program, would work around this..

Edit: I just tested by installing another FTP server. There are no issues or errors while uploading arbitrary files. The upload speed is consistent from start to end (~60-70MiB/s) and not 110MB in the beginning. For me, it's clearly a problem with FZ Server and/or allowing OS caching.