How do I set up Filezilla Server on my local Wifi network so that I can access my files from another computer/iPad?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

dukenukem
500 Command not understood

How do I set up Filezilla Server on my local Wifi network so that I can access my files from another computer/iPad?

#1 Post by dukenukem » 2017-10-30 15:06

Hello,

This is my first post and first time using this type of program. I installed Filezilla on my Windows 7 PC at home and set up FTP, created a user and selected the home directory. I followed this tutorial: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QnL-Gq940QE

What I would like to do is set up a local FTP server so that I can access files from the server on my iPad. When I open Firefox from the Windows 7 PC and type in ftp://mycomputer’sname it prompts me to type in my username and password and I can access my files with no problem.

When I use an FTP app like like FTP manager on my iPad, it doesn’t want to connnect because it says connection failed when I use the same URL and username and password.

I allowed Filezilla Server through the Windows firewall. I use a VPN on the Windows 7 PC and my iPad.

I’m doing this for fun because Filezilla is free and I want to check out FTP. :D

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: How do I set up Filezilla Server on my local Wifi network so that I can access my files from another computer/iPad?

#2 Post by botg » 2017-10-30 16:50

Try connecting by explicitly specifying the IP address.

dukenukem

Re: How do I set up Filezilla Server on my local Wifi network so that I can access my files from another computer/iPad?

#3 Post by dukenukem » 2017-10-31 07:32

Just tried that and it didn’t work. I used the ipv4 address for my computer.

Filezilla says that I am behind a NAT router every couple of lines.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2017-10-31 11:29

Can you ping the server IP from the client machine?

dukenukem

#5 Post by dukenukem » 2017-11-01 11:26

No. I can’t ping the server IP which is 192.168.1.105. I can ping my router: 192.168.1.1.

My desktop, laptop and iPad all can’t ping each other. I installed Filezilla Server on the laptop as well just to see and got the same result as the Desktop, I can only access the FTP server from the computer itself only.

Disabled Windows Firewall on both laptop and desktop and they still can’t ping each other.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2017-11-01 18:06

I thought you were using a VPN between the client and the server. Can you ping the IP of the server's VPN network adapter?

dukenukem

#7 Post by dukenukem » 2017-11-02 12:05

I use a VPN for Internet access. I pinged the VPN adapter on the server and no packets were received.

I uninstalled my VPN and the TAP driver too just to make sure that no issues come from it.

I’ve noticed that if I type ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew in the Command Prompt I am able to ping my computer with no problem from my iPad but this only lasts for like a minute.