425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/", can't open port 990 on Virgin Media v3.0 hub, Alternative

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

GaryCadman
500 Command not understood
First name: Gary
Last name: Cadman

425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/", can't open port 990 on Virgin Media v3.0 hub, Alternative

#1 Post by GaryCadman » 2017-12-08 09:09

I have recently moved to Virgin Media as a provider.
My server was previously working whilst on BT.

Currently I'm getting the error.
425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/"

I suspect this is because when I tried to port forward port 990 I was unable to as the Virgin Media router stated it was already used as by another service.
Its a brand new hub and I only have the other ports (50000-51000) forwarded on the router for filezilla.
Obviously its connecting and I'm logged on to the server so all the DNS stuff is working. It just seems to fail at the transfer of the directory listing.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it possible to re-configure the Filezilla server app to use another port for TLS? Am I barking up the wrong tree and the problem is actually something else?

Regards

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/", can't open port 990 on Virgin Media v3.0 hub, Alternative

#2 Post by botg » 2017-12-08 10:42

Why are you using a new router? Just plug your old router in your new stand-alone modem. Does it work then?

boco
Contributor

Re: 425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/", can't open port 990 on Virgin Media v3.0 hub, Alternative

#3 Post by boco » 2017-12-09 04:45

As to your question: Yes, it's possible to change the Implicit FTPS port from 990 to something else (FileZilla Server settings), but if you do, please use a port that's above 1024. Ports up to and including 1024 are reserved for special services.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

GaryCadman

#4 Post by GaryCadman » 2017-12-13 21:38

botg wrote:Why are you using a new router? Just plug your old router in your new stand-alone modem. Does it work then?
It was the router provided by virgin media when I changed provider.
I no longer have the old router.
Do you know if I am right in my assumption of why it does not work?

GaryCadman

#5 Post by GaryCadman » 2017-12-13 21:46

GaryCadman wrote:I have recently moved to Virgin Media as a provider.
My server was previously working whilst on BT.

Currently I'm getting the error.
425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/"

I suspect this is because when I tried to port forward port 990 I was unable to as the Virgin Media router stated it was already used as by another service.
Its a brand new hub and I only have the other ports (50000-51000) forwarded on the router for filezilla.
Obviously its connecting and I'm logged on to the server so all the DNS stuff is working. It just seems to fail at the transfer of the directory listing.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it possible to re-configure the Filezilla server app to use another port for TLS? Am I barking up the wrong tree and the problem is actually something else?

Problem resolved:
The error was caused by the IPv4 specific passive mode settings. The Use the following IP was set incorrectly.

Regards