How To Install two FTP-Servers on different ports on the same machine?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

laudatio
500 Command not understood
First name: Lars
Last name: Jensen

How To Install two FTP-Servers on different ports on the same machine?

#1 Post by laudatio » 2018-01-29 13:06

Im using Windows 7 and I want to use FileZilla FTP-Server to install two different FTP-Server on my local machine.

This is what I have done so far:
  • 1. Install from the FileZilla Server.exe the first Server into folder FileZilla Server (with admin port 14457)
    2. change the listening port to 66 with the FileZilla Interface Panel
    3. create account and home directory
Until now evertything is ok.

For the second Server:
  • 1. Install from the same FileZilla Server.exe into FileZilla Server2 (with admin port 14458)
    2. create account and homedirectory
    3. I expected two FTP-Server : one at port 66, the other at the default port 20.
What I got was only one FTP-Server with default port 20. The second installation seems to have overwritten the first installation.

Can somebody help me?

boco
Contributor

Re: How To Install two FTP-Servers on different ports on the same machine?

#2 Post by boco » 2018-01-29 15:12

Let's first cover the ports:

The default FTP port is 21, not 20.
Port 66 is in the system port range (up to 1024), reserved for system purposes. Using a port above 1024 is advised.

Now to the problem:

FileZilla Server runs as a service in the Windows OS. Usually, that name is "FileZilla Server". Your second FileZilla service configuration overwrites the first one. You cannot use the installer to get two FZ Server instances onto one machine!

1. Install only the first Server with the installation program. That one will use the default name for the service.
2. Make a copy of the first installation directory, for the second instance.
3. open an Administrator command shell, navigate to the second Server's directory.
4. Refer to https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Comm ... 8Server%29 and use the /servicename and /servicedisplayname command line arguments to set a different service identity for the second server. Please use these two commands (not the servicenames) all lowercase, and one after the other.
5. Use the "FileZilla Server.exe" /install auto command to install the second server with the new configuration.
6. Edit the "FileZilla Server.xml" file and change the admin port.
7. Now you can start both services. Use the Admin interface to connect to the servers (you only need one but can use two for convenience). Configure them for the different ports.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org