FTPS default port 990 m u s t be entered in server (and client) settings

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ulix
500 Command not understood
First name: Ulrich
Last name: Berth

FTPS default port 990 m u s t be entered in server (and client) settings

#1 Post by ulix » 2018-03-26 23:51

Dear FileZilla developers,

First my thanks and respect for the great software - on the server as well as the client side.

Installing the server (FileZilla_Server-0_9_60_2.exe) locally within xampp, I stuck with a detail in the descriptions and forums that resulted in some headache for me.

Everywhere in the descriptions and forums, the port number 990 is declared as DEFAULT for the FTPS protocol, implicating for me the best solution may be to let empty the respective fields in the server and client settings. For both plain FTP and FTPES worked without complaints by default on port 21, I did not suspect a necessity to enter the port number (990 or any other) explicitely, neither for the server nor the client. As you might have experienced many times, a misunderstanding with even a small detail may be time consuming in a complex multiple-error prone environment.
The feature may not be an intended one. If so, please correct the code to make the port number 990 a well working DEFAULT for FTPS and/or mention the present behaviour at a sufficiently prominent place to save other FTP newbies (like me) from trouble.

Best

Ulrich

boco
Contributor

Re: FTPS default port 990 m u s t be entered in server (and client) settings

#2 Post by boco » 2018-03-27 03:11

First, the server package that comes with XAMPP is a third-party redistributation and NOT supported here.

Second, the original FileZilla Server from here works correctly. The port 990 is for Implicit FTPS only and has to be entered on the FTP over TLS page in settings. In the Server, both the default listening port (21) and the default Implicit port (990) have to be entered, as a blank port here means "Disabled".

FileZilla Client will automatically use 990 if you leave the port blank, provided you have set protocol as FTP and Encryption as FTPS Implicit, correctly.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2018-03-27 06:29

Note that implicit FTP over TLS is deprecated as it has never been properly specified. Please prefer explicit FTP over TLS wherever possible.

ulix

#4 Post by ulix » 2018-03-27 19:51

Thanks for quick response and clarification.

The trouble was initiated by services of Windows CE Mobile Active Sync listening on port 990 and not properly deinstalled. After stopping them (Wcescomm and RapiMgr) the port 990 worked as expected.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2018-03-27 23:07

Hasn't Windows CE been discontinued? If so, it shouldn't be used in networked environments anymore for security reasons.

ulix

#6 Post by ulix » 2018-03-28 00:53

May be it has, but as you know there are some (ok outdated, like me) Tom Tom navi applications running on pocket pc (e.g. HP rz1710) under CE with maps loaded from CDs via Active Sync from Win system. And, as luck would have it, this software uses ftps services on port 990 which withstood the normal uninstall procedure. So after checking a thousand other possibilities (e.g. firewall, what is senseless on localhost, but who knows) I played around and tried successfully 991. This lead me back to the search for blocking services on 990 which I found yet alive and not easy to stop.