Installation Issues

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bcox
500 Command not understood
First name: Barry
Last name: Cox

Installation Issues

#1 Post by bcox » 2018-07-22 19:23

Hello,

I have FileZilla Server installed on Windows 2012 R2. I downloaded the latest version for Windows at https://filezilla-project.org today. I ran the installer, but had to abort because the installer was unable to write all the files to the filesystem. Upon further inspection, I found that the FileZilla service was unable to shut down, and also I could not kill the process from Task Manager. To resolve this, I changed the service properties of FileZilla Server to be disabled on startup and rebooted the server. After that all the files wrote fine and the installation succeeded.

After installation, the interface shows version 0.90.2 Beta. That was troubling, so I deinstalled FileZilla completely and reinstalled. Still same issue. I am concerned because i read somewhere else that Beta can be infected by HeartBleed. I googled everywhere for a while and couldn't find anything on this. Can anyone please comment on what might be wrong with the version update?

Thanks,

Barry

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Installation Issues

#2 Post by botg » 2018-07-22 21:41

Inability to kill the service is the result of a faulty Windows update from Microsoft affecting a multitude of networking programs. Contact Microsoft for assistance.

Heartbleed is a security vulnerability in OpenSSL. Vulnerable programs may be affected by it, but it's not an infection. Recent versions of FileZilla Server are not affected by Heartbleed.

bcox

#3 Post by bcox » 2018-07-22 22:15

@botg - Thank you kindly for your reply. Yes, being able to kill or shutdown any process or service in Windows should be a basic capability, but it isn't. I appreciate the clarification about Heartbleed, you're right I should have said vulnerability instead of infection. Thank you for a better description and for confirming HeartBleed has been fixed in later versions of FileZilla. Beta is still vulnerable from what I understand. BC

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2018-07-22 22:41

All versions of FileZilla Server are beta, it has never reached the 1.0 milestone.

bcox

#5 Post by bcox » 2018-07-22 22:57

@botg - That's very helpful to know! Does it not matter then that version says 0.9.60 beta instead of saying 0.9.60.2 beta after upgrade? Thanks! BC

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2018-07-23 02:36

The .1 and .2 subrevisions only fixed vulnerabilities in the installer program itself, the server stayed at 0.9.60beta.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

bcox

#7 Post by bcox » 2018-07-23 07:03

Thanks so much for that confirmation. It completely resolves all my concerns. I hope if someone else confronts this issue, they will find your answers. It's amazing you helped out so much on a Sunday. Best Wishes boco!