Am I experiencing a Windows 10 firewall problem?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

smillman
500 Command not understood

Am I experiencing a Windows 10 firewall problem?

#1 Post by smillman » 2019-03-19 17:16

Hi, thanks for reading.

I'm fairly noob when it comes to networking.

Can anybody confirm what I am experiencing, is what I expect... Windows 10 firewall refusing connections.

- I used to run Filezilla server and a UPNP media server on my PC with Windows 7. Everything worked perfectly.

- Yesterday I upgraded my Win7 OS' drive from 120GB Crucial M4, to 500GB 3D SSD (Western Digital Blue).

- I took this opportunity to install Windows 10 this time around

- All hardware drivers were installed without issue. Everything is supported for use with Win10 x64. It's a previous generation Intel system... Z97 mobo, Intel 4770K, wired network connection, etc

I tried two different versions of Filezilla server. I am sitting at the computer, looking at the "terminal" part of the UI, where the server reports activity.
PROBLEM -- When I try to connect to the server using all of the same clients that worked before, the Filezilla server UI acts like nothing is happening. I'm not seeing the attempt of a user to log in. It's like server is sitting on the dark side of the moon, wondering where everybody is.

Does this sound like Windows 10 firewall blocking a connection attempt? Weird that I never touched Win7's firewall, and it was enabled during my time using Filezilla+Win7.

Thanks guys and gals.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Am I experiencing a Windows 10 firewall problem?

#2 Post by botg » 2019-03-21 08:08

Yes, very likely the WIndows firewall is blocking FileZilla Server. Try adding an exception for FileZilla Server.exe to Windows Firewall.

smillman
500 Command not understood

Re: Am I experiencing a Windows 10 firewall problem?

#3 Post by smillman » 2019-03-21 18:12

Thanks botg

It was Windows firewall. I fixed it using a slightly different approach.

I didnt realize Win10 has separate toggles or LAN/WAN firewall.

I disabled the LAN-side firewall and everything behaves as it should following that.

I’m a stubborn ex-holdout on Win7, and finally starting to get acquainted with Win10 as of the last handful of days. It feels refreshing to be making silly little mistakes again, like the old days haha