What ports for FTPS and speed limit ?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

sdevany
500 Command not understood
First name: Susan
Last name: Devany

What ports for FTPS and speed limit ?

#1 Post by sdevany » 2020-07-13 21:12

Hi,

I normally run SFTP servers at work, but as the files are getting larger now and for the sake of speed I am now thinking of building a home FTPS server, other than 21, what other ports do I need to open in router and Windows firewall for Filezilla FTPS to work correctly ?

Also is there a speed limit on FZ's protocol ? I have a 300Mbps leased line at work and at home I have 350Mbps , but when I use another FTP product, I normally get around 7MBs sending from work to home, speedtest on work line is 290-300Mbps and home download is 354-=380Mbps so it is not a line issue, will FZ make use of the whole line speed or is there any throttle switches ?

Thanks for any help.

boco
Contributor

Re: What ports for FTPS and speed limit ?

#2 Post by boco » 2020-07-13 21:30

other than 21, what other ports do I need to open in router and Windows firewall for Filezilla FTPS to work correctly ?
For FTPS Explicit (the recommended one), it's 21 plus the complete Passive data port range you defined in FZ Server's Passive settings ("Custom port range"). Define at least as many ports as you can do transfers inside of a 4 minutes time frame. Also, read Network Configuration Passive configuration chapter for the complete tutorial.
Also is there a speed limit on FZ's protocol ?
Nope, will go as fast as the slowest hard- or software component (the "bottle neck").
I have a 300Mbps leased line at work and at home I have 350Mbps , but when I use another FTP product, I normally get around 7MBs sending from work to home, speedtest on work line is 290-300Mbps and home download is 354-=380Mbps so it is not a line issue, will FZ make use of the whole line speed or is there any throttle switches ?
You didn't say if the connections are symmetric or asymmetric. Most lines are asymmetric, with the upload speed being much slower than the download speed. My example is extreme - I have 575MBit/s download speed, but only 53MBit upload speed.

If you transfer from work (FTP server) to home (FTP client), you are using your home download speed (usually fast), but the work's upload speed (usually slower). So, the speed is limited by how fast the work line can upload to you (as work's upload is your download and vice versa).

Plus, FTP has significant protocol overhead if you transfer many small files - one or few big file(s) will go much faster. Use archiving of stuff as much as possible.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

sdevany
500 Command not understood
First name: Susan
Last name: Devany

Re: What ports for FTPS and speed limit ?

#3 Post by sdevany » 2020-07-14 00:30

Thanks for your info.
Its a sym leased line so up/down both run at 300Mbps.
Prior to your reply, I tried, everything seem working, except it can't list directory.
The predefined FTP DIR already given full read/write/list access under SYSTEM account.
Port 21 + 50000-50040 setting in Fileszilla opened in router + Windows firewall but when run ftptest it still showed all ok except can't list directory at the end of test.
Have I missed some steps ?