Newbie With Lots Of Questions

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

timlab55
500 Command not understood
First name: Danny
Last name: Reg

Newbie With Lots Of Questions

#1 Post by timlab55 » 2021-01-13 00:52

The purpose of me using FileZilla is make my desktop computer act as a NAS. Is this possible?
If it is possible, then let's move on to the next question. I download the FileZilla Server program because I would like my desktop to house all the drives, and so my notebook (in the living room) can access it when ever so that I can see what new files I created on the desktop to go over them. I would use windows to do this, however, my two computers are like a female (sorry), For two days they both show up under networking and then on the 3rd day only 1. I'm tried of it. So I'm looking for away to have it on all the time. Now when I run the set up in FileZilla, I'm always getting the "Warning: FTP over TLS is not enabled, users cannot securely log in. You appear to be behind a NAT router. Please configure the passive mode settings and forward a range of ports to your router."
I guess this is going to be my biggest part, and I guess this is the part I'm still be figuring out for the last 3 days.
Thanks
Dan

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Newbie With Lots Of Questions

#2 Post by botg » 2021-01-13 19:21

The purpose of me using FileZilla is make my desktop computer act as a NAS. Is this possible?
Yes, you can use FileZilla Server for this.

Warning: FTP over TLS is not enabled, users cannot securely log in
In the settings dialog of FileZIlla Server, enable FTP over TLS and generate a certificate.
You appear to be behind a NAT router. Please configure the passive mode settings and forward a range of ports to your router.
If you only ever want to connect to FileZilla Server from inside your local network, you can ignore this. If you ever want to connect to your server from the Internet, you need to forward some ports in your NAT router and tell FileZilla Server your external IP address and which ports to use. It is explained in-depth in our Network Configuration guide.

timlab55
500 Command not understood
First name: Danny
Last name: Reg

Re: Newbie With Lots Of Questions

#3 Post by timlab55 » 2021-01-13 19:28

Okay, I was thinking this was a dead site, but I'm corrected now and thanks for the info. Now on to the next thing. Do I need to put the client on my laptop (which is in the living room)? If so, then I will be able to connect to my desktop in my office to look at files and things. There is a youtube video on how to set up the drives correct? If so, do you have that link?
Thanks