Filezilla times out with folders containing large files

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

busby
550 Permission denied
First name: Paul
Last name: Aldridge

Filezilla times out with folders containing large files

#1 Post by busby » 2021-06-30 20:48

I run a radio station with main and backup servers.

All shows are stored on the main server and most shows are in their own folders.

I use a programme to push the files from the main to the backup server but it frequently fails, and the problem seems to be Filezilla Server.

After a show has played it's transferred to a central folder for replay during gaps in the schedule, but the replay folder can get quite large, maybe up to 50gb.

If I log in via Filezilla client and navigate to the replay folder it hangs during the process of displaying the files and eventually times out.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please both server and client are the latest versions.

Thanks in advance.

boco
Contributor

Re: Filezilla times out with folders containing large files

#2 Post by boco » 2021-06-30 22:25

First, the size of the directory does not matter, but the number of items in it. If you raise the transfer timeout in FileZilla (default is 20 sec which might be too low), does it then fetch the directory contents?
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2021-07-01 11:56

Are you by chance have a virus scanner that keeps scanning each and every file just because it is listed?

busby
550 Permission denied

#4 Post by busby » 2021-07-03 21:18

boco wrote:
2021-06-30 22:25
First, the size of the directory does not matter, but the number of items in it. If you raise the transfer timeout in FileZilla (default is 20 sec which might be too low), does it then fetch the directory contents?
Is this in the client - if so it times out both in the client and BestSync which I am using to automate the process..

busby
550 Permission denied

#5 Post by busby » 2021-07-03 21:19

botg wrote:
2021-07-01 11:56
Are you by chance have a virus scanner that keeps scanning each and every file just because it is listed?
This is on Windows Server 2019 and the only AV is the one included with Windows..

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2021-07-04 02:00

Is this in the client - if so it times out both in the client and BestSync which I am using to automate the process..
It's a client setting. Try a higher timeout in FileZilla Client. If the server cannot send the complete listing fast enough (due to a bad AV, for example), timeouts might occur.
This is on Windows Server 2019 and the only AV is the one included with Windows..
Windows Defender is unfortunately particularly nasty in this regard. Its on-access scanner is known to delay listings.
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

busby
550 Permission denied

#7 Post by busby » 2021-07-04 12:09

boco wrote:
2021-07-04 02:00
It's a client setting. Try a higher timeout in FileZilla Client. If the server cannot send the complete listing fast enough (due to a bad AV, for example), timeouts might occur.
Windows Defender is unfortunately particularly nasty in this regard. Its on-access scanner is known to delay listings.
OK, but it also times out using a different client too..

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#8 Post by botg » 2021-07-04 17:31

The used client has nothing to do with a server-side AV product.

busby
550 Permission denied

#9 Post by busby » 2021-07-04 18:42

botg wrote:
2021-07-04 17:31
The used client has nothing to do with a server-side AV product.
We were referring to the client timing out, the other client also hangs - come back 30 minutes later and it's still not listed the files..

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2021-07-04 19:12

The clients are probably timing out because the server cannot send the listing quickly enough (iow, the cause is server-side). What you are seeing in the clients are just symptoms.