Obtain progress of transfer using FTP commands

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

maav
500 Command not understood
First name: m
Last name: m

Obtain progress of transfer using FTP commands

#1 Post by maav » 2021-07-14 11:59

Using pure FTP commands is there way to obtain how many bytes were send or received during (FXP) transfer? I was using LIST command to see how file is growing on the destination but this does not work on Windows 10 destination because size of growing file is not being updated on NTFS until the file is opened for read. I am sorry if this Windows filesystem issue has been already addressed on this forum. I did my best to seek for it.

It is my understanding that neither STAT nor some specific SITE commands can be used in filezilla to overcome this.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Obtain progress of transfer using FTP commands

#2 Post by botg » 2021-07-15 07:13

This is not possible. Don't use server-to-server transfers, they are not secure. Install a client on one of the server machines and transfer the files directly the proper way.

maav
500 Command not understood
First name: m
Last name: m

Re: Obtain progress of transfer using FTP commands

#3 Post by maav » 2021-07-15 08:34

Tim, thank you for your answer. I got your point. However, this is rather special application running in secured network environment. The storage servers are often proprietary products, they run various FTP server engines. My controller takes care about transfer files among these storages. Usually it is not possible to install any 3rd party SW there (that would be your suggestion with client). Thus, FXP is rather practical for this task. And as you have probably guessed, some of the storages are powered by FileZilla running on Windows. It works well. My controller just doesn't know how the transfer progesses..

Anyway, I appreciate that you returned to me so fast. Now I know where I stand and I will seek for other solution. Let me also use this opportunity to thank you for running this great FileZilla project!