Server's host key is unknown

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

nikitushu
500 Command not understood
First name: Ivan
Last name: Ivanov

Server's host key is unknown

#1 Post by nikitushu » 2021-07-15 03:30

Hi,

When connecting to my server via ssh it says that the server's key is unknown and it shows the WRONG fingerprints.

How do I connect with my current correct server's key?

boco
Contributor

Re: Server's host key is unknown

#2 Post by boco » 2021-07-15 21:48

FileZilla shows exactly the host key the server sends. There are a few possibilities:

1. The host key got changed by the server administrator or there is a configuration problem. In that case you need to contact server support to obtain the correct host key for validating the one shown to you.
2. There is a malware on the system manipulating DNS, in order to redirect you to a rogue server. There could also be a bigger DNS-poisoning attack underway that redirects you to the rogue (malicious) server.
3. Or, simply, you entered a slightly wrong URL and took a wrong turn.

Note to 1. - Some file servers supporting both FTP(S) and SFTP/SSH derive their SSH host key directly from the SSL certificate used for SSL. As SSL certificates have an expiry date, they need to be replaced regularly, which in turn will also change the SSH host key. Only the server support personnel can tell.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Server's host key is unknown

#3 Post by botg » 2021-07-19 08:09

A note regarding SSH, many servers support multiple host key algorithms and each algorithm uses its own key with its own fingerprint.