Filezilla Server 1.0.0 Permissions

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

STen
504 Command not implemented
First name: Stefan
Last name: -

Filezilla Server 1.0.0 Permissions

#1 Post by STen » 2021-09-15 08:10

Hi,

i upgraded my Installation of Filezilla Server which went very well, but i can't find any Permissions. Only "writable". Before the upgrade i could specify everything (create files/folders/delete/etc.), now there is only "writable"? Also there is only FTPS-Support? Occasionally i need unencrypted FTP for older clients, i think this has been removed? It is also much harder to read through the log or show the active connections. I think this version is a bit too much simplified.

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: Filezilla Server 1.0.0 Permissions

#2 Post by oibaf » 2021-09-15 08:48

Hi,

Yes, file permissions have been simplified, because the old ones were deemed "too complicated" (quoting the original author of the old server on that).

Plain FTP is certainly available, it just has to be configured in the listeners config page: select "Allow explicit TLS" for the relevant listener. That means that TLS is allowed, but it's not required.

What is that you find hard to read in the log files? Logging from active sessions is marked with "[FTP Session <session id> <ip> <username>].

STen

#3 Post by STen » 2021-09-15 09:06

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Hmm, currently i have the permissions set so that the users can create files/folders but not delete them. This is basically for compliance reasons. If that won't work in the newer versions i will have to look for alternatives.

I've set the log to "Information" which is near the loglevel of the oldserver but i find it frustrating that the "live view" is so minimalized, no Icons, no colors.

btw. i set up a new Server to play around and it wouldn't even let me create a new user. You could only write (not select) the Path and whatever i choose, there is always the "Path must be absolute" - Message. I hope, really hope that all this "simplifications" are being rethought.
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (39.87 KiB) Viewed 14720 times

oibaf
Contributor

#4 Post by oibaf » 2021-09-15 09:16

STen wrote:
2021-09-15 09:06
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Hmm, currently i have the permissions set so that the users can create files/folders but not delete them. This is basically for compliance reasons. If that won't work in the newer versions i will have to look for alternatives.
Thanks for the feedback, will report it to the team.
I've set the log to "Information" which is near the loglevel of the oldserver but i find it frustrating that the "live view" is so minimalized, no Icons, no colors.
The "Info" level gives more details about the inner working, which is not needed for standard use. As for the lack of colors and icons, that's also a feedback I will take care of making known within the team.
btw. i set up a new Server to play around and it wouldn't even let me create a new user. You could only write (not select) the Path and whatever i choose, there is always the "Path must be absolute" - Message. I hope, really hope that all this "simplifications" are being rethought.
From your screenshot, I see you have not input any path in the first column: that's the "mount point" where you want to attach the native path, but if it's empty, how can the server know where to attach it?

STen

#5 Post by STen » 2021-09-15 09:34

I get the error with or without a path, with or without "\" or any other Path i choose. Additionaly the "add" Button should open an explorerwindow to select the folder, the only thing it does is adding a new line/row. The GUI looks more like a better Texteditor than a really GUI, much like the sunnel.conf- things from stunnel. I'm a huge fan of minimalism but reducing the functions beyond usability is not the right way.

Thanks for the hint with the plain FTP.
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (13.7 KiB) Viewed 14706 times

oibaf
Contributor

#6 Post by oibaf » 2021-09-15 09:43

The virtual path must be a unix-style path, corresponding to the path into the "Virtual File System" a FTP user is going to see.

If you want C:\Test to be mapped to the root FTP dir, then the virtual path must be simply "/". But you can input any other path you like there, as long as it's in the format required by the FTP spec.

The directory selector, as done by the old server, would be nice, alas that would only work if the Admin UI and the FTP server were running on the same physical machine, and that is not always the case, neither there's a fail-proof way of determining whether that is the case in a specific situation. We could come up with a solution that works in most cases, though.

Having a generic directory selector would in theory be possible, but would add much complexity to the codebase.

Thanks again for your feedback.

STen

#7 Post by STen » 2021-09-15 12:22

Ok, now i get it. It works now. What i meant with the Logs is seen here in the Screenshot. In the old version you could easily see all current transfers, now i see nothing beside the current connected users. I have to look in the logfile but for debugging it would be nice to have a realtime-Log.
Attachments
Unbenannt1.PNG
Unbenannt1.PNG (25.39 KiB) Viewed 14629 times
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (45.57 KiB) Viewed 14629 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#8 Post by botg » 2021-09-15 12:48

You can use Windows' own permissions to disallow the account the server service is running under (SYSTEM by default) to delete files. To make this more flexible, we are currently working on a feature to allow logged in sessions to inherit the permissions of the corresponding Windows user account.

The log you are seeing is this verbose because you have set the log level to a very high value, where it shows all sorts of diagnostic data not relevant in normal use. Set the log level back to normal and it will be less cluttered.

STen

#9 Post by STen » 2021-09-15 13:56

The log-level can't be adjusted for the onscreen-output, this seems like debug-level or something, no transfered files are visible here. The log-file-option is set to normal and has also no entries. In "warning"-level i see the transfer while "Info" is quite similar to the Loglevel in 0.60 but on screen i see nothing. Version 0.60 showed the realtime transfer like in the Screenshot above (green/blue-Text).

For the permissions, i'm afraid this will not work. Sure, i can change the User under which the Service runs and set the Permissions there, but that would only work globally. I have dozens of users, each of them require indivudial permissions. Some are "dropboxes" where the user can only upload files but not list or download them, some have only read access, some have the rights to create files, but not folders, others have full access and the most have write and append but no delete-permissions.
Attachments
warning.PNG
warning.PNG (57.74 KiB) Viewed 14602 times
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (60.34 KiB) Viewed 14602 times

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2021-09-15 16:10

Agreed, these are also my major points I'd like to address.

1. Permissions: Too simple, currently. I prefer at least the granularity of the previous server. May be an expert options checkbox hiding or showing advanced configurations.
2. Screen log: When the screen log fills, it currently does not follow (scroll) correctly, and you have to constantly scroll down manually. In the old server, when scrolled to the bottom, it would "lock" and auto-scroll upon new entries appearing.
3. The filesystem picker: If you are connected to the server via "localhost", "127.0.0.0/8" or "::1", it is almost certain you are working locally. In this case, the picker could be enabled, like in the old server.

The engine works, just the controls and looks need a bit of tuning.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

oibaf
Contributor

#11 Post by oibaf » 2021-09-17 11:45

Changed the logger viewer in the Admin UI to display different colors for different logging message types, using the same scheme as the FileZilla Client's one, and it now also automatically sticks to the bottom, and re-sticks to the bottom any time the scrollbar is moved to the bottom.

These changes will be available in the next release.

ydros69
550 File not found
First name: ydros69
Last name: ydros69

#12 Post by ydros69 » 2021-09-17 18:39

the new filezilla server have bugs,

Rayman
550 File not found

#13 Post by Rayman » 2021-09-17 20:27

boco wrote:
2021-09-15 16:10
Agreed, these are also my major points I'd like to address.

1. Permissions: Too simple, currently. I prefer at least the granularity of the previous server. May be an expert options checkbox hiding or showing advanced configurations.
I would also appreciate that, because I have some users configured in FileZilla Server with different and complex permissions each. Not just the simple "read only" and "read write" thing...