One problems with the logging to file and suggestion for logging in Admin interface

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Stefan1200
425 Can't open data connection

One problems with the logging to file and suggestion for logging in Admin interface

#1 Post by Stefan1200 » 2021-09-18 12:22

I tested the FileZilla Server 1.0.0 and the current nightly (18.9.).
I activated logging to file. Tried different path, even a path outside of UAC protected directories. But I always have this problem:
The log file seems always be created with system permissions only, even my full admin account can't even open this file for reading.
Of course, I could change the owner and permissions for this file, but the FileZilla Server stops writing to this file, as soon as I do this.
So the only good workaround is to copy that log file, because it will gets the default permissions from the current folder then (where the administrative group is the owner of, and of course are allowed to read it).
In my opinion this should be changed, to be able to live read the log file.

My suggestion: Please allow to set the log level for the administrative interface. But it should be separated from the file logger, maybe another combo box above the logging level combo box on the Settings / Logging page.
<removed advertisement>

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: One problems with the logging to file and suggestion for logging in Admin interface

#2 Post by botg » 2021-09-20 08:18

For security reasons that file is only readable by the account the server service runs under and members of the Administrators group.

Note that Windows Explore by default drops the administrator group from its own security token (Even if you explicitly try to start Explorer as Administrator, it drops it the group), try using a different file manager.