Upgraded and hosed my server (I think)

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Steiner-SE
504 Command not implemented
First name: Thomas
Last name: Andersson

Upgraded and hosed my server (I think)

#1 Post by Steiner-SE » 2021-09-30 15:11

I've been running FileZilla server for ages and I think I was behind on updates. A user complained about transfer issues and complaints about certificates so checked for latest version and there was one (v1.0.1). I was running 0.9.60-beta 2 so probably should have looked deeper before upgrading.
After install no users, no groups, nothing.
My entire server was set up on a virtual machine with all storage on a NAS (UNC paths)
Trying to manually set up the old users and groups failed as there's no UNC support any more.
Tried setting up with absolute paths with shared drives from the NAS, no go either. All I ever see is /, no folder, no files, nothing.
I'm running the server as the same administrative user sharing the NAS folders that have full rights to see and edit them, but still nothing is visible from within FTP.

Anything I need to to to set up this scenario from scratch using 1.0+ ?

I read that UNC support is coming, anyone have a ETA on that? (but thinking this is more of a permissions issue than the actual path, all I know is that it worked perfectly before 1.0)

ZenMasta
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Robbie

Re: Upgraded and hosed my server (I think)

#2 Post by ZenMasta » 2021-09-30 16:25

Hi, I was in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, upgrading from legacy doesn't automatically convert your old configs. You have to use filezilla-server-config-converter.exe that's in the installation folder

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54066

Also make sure that you update windows firewall because even though you probably installed/upgraded in place. It won't update the windows firewall rule. You'll have to add/allow a new program. Delete the old rule if its there.

Lastly, and this one I'm still working through. The first time a user connects, it seems to work fine but you'll see a message about the password being upgraded from old style to new style. Seems like after this happens they can't login again. But then after several attempts it seemed to work again.
I changed logging to verbose to try and figure that out.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2021-09-30 16:34

The old configuration is automatically converted if you used the old version's installer to install the old version.

Until UNC support can be added back in, you can map the network shares to drive letters.

Steiner-SE

#4 Post by Steiner-SE » 2021-09-30 17:07

ZenMasta wrote:
2021-09-30 16:25
Hi, I was in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, upgrading from legacy doesn't automatically convert your old configs. You have to use filezilla-server-config-converter.exe that's in the installation folder

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54066
Thank you, I tried configuring manually afterwards with no success at all. I just have 2 groups (that at this point could just be one group) and not that many users currently (it's mainly backup access for those who can't stream via my Plex with quality).
ZenMasta wrote:
Also make sure that you update windows firewall because even though you probably installed/upgraded in place. It won't update the windows firewall rule. You'll have to add/allow a new program. Delete the old rule if its there.
Thank you again, this one I figured out fairly fast, I disabled the firewall for testing and then access was no problem.
ZenMasta wrote:
Lastly, and this one I'm still working through. The first time a user connects, it seems to work fine but you'll see a message about the password being upgraded from old style to new style. Seems like after this happens they can't login again. But then after several attempts it seemed to work again.
I changed logging to verbose to try and figure that out.
I saw that but it didn't seem to pose a problem. My main issue now is that non file or directory structure is visible whatsoever through the FTP.

Steiner-SE

#5 Post by Steiner-SE » 2021-09-30 17:09

botg wrote:
2021-09-30 16:34
Until UNC support can be added back in, you can map the network shares to drive letters.
I tried that, but nothing is visible when connected. I get the / location and nothing else, this even when running the server as the admin account mounting the mapped drives and with read/write access to the NAS.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2021-09-30 18:34

Try to connect the network drives in a shell with admin rights. The network drive connection over the GUI is with standard rights and cannot be seen by the server.

Code: Select all

Example:

net use Z: \\computer\foo
net use Y: \\computer\bar
If it still isn't visible, you need to change the user the FileZilla Server service runs under. Default is SYSTEM that might not have proper access to external resources.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Steiner-SE

#7 Post by Steiner-SE » 2021-09-30 21:41

boco wrote:
2021-09-30 18:34
Try to connect the network drives in a shell with admin rights. The network drive connection over the GUI is with standard rights and cannot be seen by the server.

Code: Select all

Example:

net use Z: \\computer\foo
net use Y: \\computer\bar
If it still isn't visible, you need to change the user the FileZilla Server service runs under. Default is SYSTEM that might not have proper access to external resources.
Thanks, I will try that. The server IS running as a an elevated admin though, same that is used to mount and access the mapped folders.

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2021-10-01 02:05

How do you map? The Windows Explorer is always stripping Administrator rights, you cannot run Explorer as Administrator. Thus, all shares mapped from Explorer are with standard rights.
Only the Admin command line shell works. Note: created mappings will usually not show in Explorer.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Steiner-SE

#9 Post by Steiner-SE » 2021-10-01 22:44

boco wrote:
2021-10-01 02:05
How do you map? The Windows Explorer is always stripping Administrator rights, you cannot run Explorer as Administrator. Thus, all shares mapped from Explorer are with standard rights.
Only the Admin command line shell works. Note: created mappings will usually not show in Explorer.
Ah, I am mapping the drives using the GUI function "Map network drive". Guess that's the problem then. With FZ server 0.9.6 I always used UNC paths so never hit that snag I guess.

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#10 Post by oibaf » 2021-10-28 09:46

Hi,

UNC support has been added back in. You can try it out by downloading the latest nightly build from here: https://filezilla-project.org/nightly.php?type=server