Disable 220 message (Or modify what it says)

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

drake999
500 Command not understood

Disable 220 message (Or modify what it says)

#1 Post by drake999 » 2021-10-25 16:44

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I'm experimenting with FileZilla server. I would like to make it as secure as possible and as such I am only accepting TLS connections. Just for kicks I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to connect to it using HTTP in a browser and I got the following.

220-FileZilla Server 1.0.1
220 Please visit https://filezilla-project.org/
501 What are you trying to do? Go away.

I don't mind the 501 message so much as it is mildly amusing, but I would like to either disable to modify the text of the 220 message so it is not advertising the server version information. Is there a way to turn this off or modify the text? I apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I don't frequent forums very much and I did have a look around the forum but nothing seemed directly applicable. Thanks in advance.

boco
Contributor

Re: Disable 220 message (Or modify what it says)

#2 Post by boco » 2021-10-25 19:16

At the moment, the Welcome message can not be modified. I guess it'll return eventually.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#3 Post by oibaf » 2021-10-26 10:01

As boco said, there's currently no way to disable that message. However, if the intention is to hide the info about which is the server running, I dare say that peculiar error message alone gives away enough info already, such that hiding the welcome message only wouldn't make you achieve the intended goal.

If it's such a strong requirement that these messages be hidden/modified, i suggest one downloads the sources, deletes/modifies the messages within those, then recompiles.

drake999
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by drake999 » 2021-10-28 19:18

Ok thanks for the info. It's not a strong requirement, but would certainly be beneficial to have that capability in a future update if possible. Thanks.