New Question about Security item of FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0)

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

maru
226 Transfer OK

New Question about Security item of FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0)

#1 Post by maru » 2021-11-24 07:56

Hello.

I am currently testing the new FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0).
Please forgive my lack of study.
I have some questions.
Please see the figure in the attached file.

I am currently connected to the internet via a router at my company.
This time, I installed FileZilla Server on a Windows 10 PC (Computer name is PC-A) in the company's local area network(private network).
I plan to set "port forwarding" on the router to connect to the company's FileZilla Server from the outside.
I also plan to connect to FileZilla Server from a PC in my company's private network (LAN).

In the network environment like an attachment file, how should I enter the "Distinguished name" and "Host names" text boxes in the Certificate data window that appears when the Regenerate button is pressed in the Security item of FTP Server?

For example, should I enter the company name in the "Distinguished name" text box?

For example, should I enter xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.0.10 in the "Hostnames" text box?

If the above input method is incorrect, please tell me the correct input method.

Also, there is a "Regenerate" button in the Security item in the Administration item of FileZilla Server.
Is the input method the same as the Regenerate button in the Security item of FTP Server?

I would like to know the above points.
Attachments
Picture01.png
Picture01.png (176.28 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

boco
Contributor

Re: New Question about Security item of FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0)

#2 Post by boco » 2021-11-24 09:23

There are a few items you can (but not need to) enter in the Distinguished name field.

Format:
EMAIL=<contact email address>,CN=<common name/server address>,OU=<organizational unit>,O=<organization>,L=<locatlity/city>,ST=<state>,C=<two-letter code of your country>

Hostnames: URL (and possibly alternative addresses (ASNs)) your server is available under.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

maru
226 Transfer OK

#3 Post by maru » 2021-11-24 10:39

Thank you for reply.
Thank you, Mr.boco.

Earlier, I received the following answer from Mr.boco on another topic.

"You need two certificates because the server addresses/domain names are usually different for each purpose."

I have some questions.

Is the Certificate data of the Security item of FTP Server's correct in the following input in my company's network environment?

Distinguished name : CN=filezilla-server
Hostnames: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.0.10

Is the Certificate data in the Security item of Administration correct with the following input in my company's network environment?

Distinguished name : CN=filezilla-server
Hostnames: 127.0.0.1

In the above, Distinguished name is the default value.
Are the above inputs correct in my company's network environment?
By the way, I haven't obtained the domain name.

I'm a beginner, so I'd appreciate it if you could tell me more easily.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-11-24 14:49

First, the Administration certificate is easy. Click Generate, leave everything blank, press OK. The Distinguished name is created by FileZilla Server with default contents and the rest is optional.

As for the Server certificate (for client communication), You can enter a CN= as well as the other things I posted above. You cannot enter IPs for the Hostnames, either enter the URL you are reachable under from the outside (without any protocol identifier), or leave it blank.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

maru
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by maru » 2021-11-25 08:03

Thank you for reply.
Thank you very much, Mr.boco.