Additional Questions about Security items of FileZilla Server (Ver 1.1.0)

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

maru
226 Transfer OK

Additional Questions about Security items of FileZilla Server (Ver 1.1.0)

#1 Post by maru » 2021-11-24 08:02

Hello.

I am currently testing the new FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0).
Please forgive my lack of study.
I have some questions.

There is a Security item in the FTP Server item of FileZilla Server. There is a "Regenerate" button in it.
Is the certificate created by this button valid for one year?
Also, is the idea of pressing this "Regenerate" button to recreate the certificate every year correct?

Also, there is a Security item in the Administration item of FileZilla Server. What is this used for?
For example, do I use it to control FileZilla Server remotely?(Is it a function to create a certificate to be used at that time?)
Also, there is a "Regenerate" button in the Security item in the Administration item of FileZilla Server.
Do I have to press this button every year to create a certificate? If I don't press this button every year (if I didn't create a certificate), will I have any problems?

I would like to know the above points.

boco
Contributor

Re: Additional Questions about Security items of FileZilla Server (Ver 1.1.0)

#2 Post by boco » 2021-11-24 08:56

The Generate/Regenerate buttons create certificates valid for one year. I'm sure the server and admin interface will let you know well in advance and encourage (or even force) a regeneration when the cert expired. You can press the Regenerate button at any time to generate a new certificate for one year. Alternatively, you can also use externally generated ones.

About the two Security tabs, don't ignore information that has been already given to you. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54279
You need to keep both certificates valid.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2021-11-24 09:30

In case of certificates created through Let's Encrypt, the certificate lifetime is governed by Let's Encrypt, or if you changed to a different ACME provider, that provider's policies.

maru
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by maru » 2021-11-24 10:01

Thank you for reply.
Thank you Mr.boco and Mr Kosse.

I'm sorry, Mr.boco.

As I am a beginner, I didn't understand the communication structure of FTPS in detail.
I'm currently studying FTP and FTPS.
Therefore, the explanation of the previous topic was not enough to understand it deeply.
From my point of view, the certificate generated by the Regenerate button in the Security item of the FTP Server item of FileZilla Server is used for encrypted communication with the FTP client. Is this correct?

Also, is the certificate generated by the Regenerate button in the Security item of the Administration item also used for encrypted communication with the FTP client? Or do we use this certificate for other purposes?

Simply put, I didn't understand why I needed to create two types of certificates, so I asked again.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2021-11-24 10:11

The one under Server is used for communication with FTP clients.
The other one under Administration is used locally, for connecting the Administration interface (configuration GUI) to the Server engine running as a service in the background. If you enable remote administration, it's also used for that.

You need two certificates because the server addresses/domain names are usually different for each purpose.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

maru
226 Transfer OK

#6 Post by maru » 2021-11-24 11:32

Thank you, Mr.boco.
Thank you for the very detailed explanation.