filezilla can not write to new "native path" directory

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bernatikv
500 Command not understood
First name: Vit
Last name: Bernatik

filezilla can not write to new "native path" directory

#1 Post by bernatikv » 2021-11-30 20:09

Hey I was solving this fucking issue for like an hour and I did solved it :)
But I want to note it here just in case some unlucky guy will be stuck with same issue in this fucking filezilla server (although it's free so no justified swearing... thank you filezilla that mostly you work great... )

Anyway I set for my "user" new "native path" to new disk (path "f:\0\ftpShareD") (other HDD in my laptop) from working path "c:\0\ftpShare". I could connect and list files in new path, but I could not write (and I think also I could not read). Old path was working just fine.
So I was checking rights and both folder seemed to have same rights.
The "writable" checkbox in filezilla config was set.

If I changed path to other folder on original disk (c:) it worked well...
But any path in disk f: did not work.

I was fucking with it like an hour.

Then I did "stop filezilla server" and "start filezilla server" again and now magically everything works :)))))))....

So instead looking for one hour to rights and reading all forums which guide "it must be the rights". Just remember tv series IT crowds: "Have you tried it turn it off and on again?"

best luck to all...

bernatikv

Re: filezilla can not write to new "native path" directory

#2 Post by bernatikv » 2021-11-30 20:10

solved> I just "stop filezilla server" and "start filezilla server" again and now magically everything works :)))))))....

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2021-12-01 09:17

Peculiar. Changing the native path is a common occurrence during my tests, never saw changes fail to apply.

bernatikv

#4 Post by bernatikv » 2021-12-03 20:26

OOOPS I found one another possible cause of the issue, other than server restart.
I tried to make another folder to access and I got same error and server restart did not helped today.
I found I had an extra space in my native path at the end.
I had "f:\0\ftpShareD3 " instead of "f:\0\ftpShareD3". And there are no quotes in administer tools so after you fill it you have no chance to see it.

What is super weird that part of the server was fine with it -> it connected and LISTED CONTENT of the folder without problems.
But when I wanted to copy file from server it told: "425 Error reading form file: 5"
And for writing file it was telling that: "550 Couldn't open the file or directory"
Also I was not able to open folder on that ftp - it told: "550 Couldn't open the file"

Anyway now I think the extra space was also the original problem yesterday and I corrected it by fiddling with the folder... So server restart seems not to be necessary...

So BE AWARE OF AN EXTRA SPACE AT THE END OF NATIVE PATH!!!

If there is extra space the listing works so it seems native path is set correctly, but then you get weird errors, and you are not thinking about path - which is listing fine - to be incorrect for other purposes (like copying files)...

Anyway if some developer read this thread it would be supper nice if administer tool can trim extra spaces at the end automatically. Or at least warn about extra space. Or at lest depict the space somehow.... Cos such a stupid and INVISIBLE thing (you do not see extra space at the end) and so much effort to find :((((.