Server version 1.1.0 GUI very different from the screen shots

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Jochem
500 Command not understood
First name: Jochem
Last name: Huygen

Server version 1.1.0 GUI very different from the screen shots

#1 Post by Jochem » 2021-12-06 10:50

I am a first time user. Apologies for using the wrong vocabulary and potential stupid questions :oops:
I just installed server vs 1.1.0. The GUI of the adminitration interface (see screen shot attached) seems very different from the ones on the screen shots pages.
What have I done wrong?
Thank you in advance for your support!
GUI server vs 1.1.0.jpg
GUI server vs 1.1.0.jpg (23.02 KiB) Viewed 1423 times

boco
Contributor

Re: Server version 1.1.0 GUI very different from the screen shots

#2 Post by boco » 2021-12-06 11:23

The Server has been completely rewritten lately, using a modern and secure foundation. Unfortunately, the documentation hasn't been updated, yet. The screenshots are probably still taken from the old Server version 0.9.x, which wasn't updated anymore after 2017 and is now abandoned.

You are using the correct, modern Server, all OK.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Jochem

#3 Post by Jochem » 2021-12-06 12:14

Thank you very much, Boco! :D
This means I'm moving in the right direction.
However, i'm not able to find any information what I need to enter in "virtual path" and "Native path" nor how to do that (see attached screen shot).
Perhaps you know that as well?
Thanks again!
Cheers.
GUI server vs 1.1.0 - configuration- groups.jpg
GUI server vs 1.1.0 - configuration- groups.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 1415 times

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-12-06 13:00

FileZilla Server uses a virtual filesystem that can look completely different from the one you have on the server machine. The paths in this virtual filesystem look very similar to what Linux uses, they always start with a slash.
The most basic path is the users Home directory (or virtual root). It is what the user sees after having logged in. The Home directory uses a single slash for the virtual path, nothing more, and is the only mandatory entry.
So, with the slash used for the root, you can build a complete tree-like structure with various subdirectories, exactly how you like it. The virtual paths are what you see on the server side in the client.

However, we also need actual contents. What Native paths are can be easily explained, these are the real directories on your server machine.

Basically, you define a virtual path (starting with the Home directory / ), then you map/associate a native path from your server machine to that virtual one.

Example: Enter a single slash for the Virtual path and enter a physical path on your server machine into the "Native path" field. The user will then see the contents of that physical path after log in. This also includes all direct subdirectories of that physical path.
You can define more virtual paths like /foo or /bar that will appear as further subdirectories in the Home directory. This is only required if the physical path you want to assign is from a different location.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Jochem

#5 Post by Jochem » 2021-12-06 16:26

Dear Boco,

It works :done:
Thank you for your support!