New user, can't get port to "open".

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Speeder323
500 Command not understood

New user, can't get port to "open".

#1 Post by Speeder323 » 2021-12-06 16:54

Hey, I'm just trying to set up something so some people could be able to access a folder on my computer.
I'm not sure how I would be able to use a network share to do that, as they're not in my local network.
Maybe using an FTP was a incredibly bad idea, so if I should be using something else, please tell me so.

However, trying to get the FTP to be accessible by "external sources" was unsuccessful for me.
Connecting with localhost worked for me, however using ftptest says that the connection timed out.
Checking the port with a portchecker said the port is closed as well.

I'm not sure what's causing this, and the ISP said that they do not block any ports.
Just because I didn't trust them, I tried using port 21000 but it didn't work either.

Any ideas what I could have missed?

boco
Contributor

Re: New user, can't get port to "open".

#2 Post by boco » 2021-12-07 00:34

Let's say that running an FTP server isn't for you if you don't have at least moderate knowledge of networks and TCP/IP. FTP is one of the oldest protocols and totally unforgiving, it simply wasn't designed according to today's standards (e. g. ease of use and self-explaining).

For a simple directory share, FTP is overkill. What I'd recommend is a simple HTTP server like HFS. Much easier to use and you have to forward and open only a single port.

URL:

Code: Select all

https://rejetto.com/hfs
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###