Question about Implicit mode communication of FileZilla Server (Ver1.2.0)

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

maru
226 Transfer OK

Question about Implicit mode communication of FileZilla Server (Ver1.2.0)

#1 Post by maru » 2022-01-09 12:16

Hello.

I am currently testing the new FileZilla Server (ver 1.2.0).
I am a beginner.
Please forgive my lack of study.

I have a question about the "Connection" tab of the "FTP Server" item of FileZilla Server (Ver1.2.0).

I can select "Implicit FTP over TLS" in the protocol of this screen, but it is described as "(deprecated)" as a supplement like Figure1.
Does this mean that I had better not use Implicit mode communication?

I am wondering because until now I thought that both explicit mode and Implicit mode are good methods for encrypted communication.

Please let me know if there is a reason why communication in Implicit mode is not recommended.
Attachments
Picture01.png
Picture01.png (20.02 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

boco
Contributor

Re: Question about Implicit mode communication of FileZilla Server (Ver1.2.0)

#2 Post by boco » 2022-01-09 13:07

It's a matter of official FTP standards. Explicit FTP over TLS (the recommended and preferred way) has been defined as FTP standard by the IETF. As such, the workings of that feature are determined exactly, and every FTP client and server MUST implement it in exact that way. In other words, that feature, correctly implemented, will work 100% the same for every FTP client and server. You can rely on it.

Now to Implicit FTP over TLS. That one is NOT an FTP standard at all. Officially, it doesn't exist (it is not FTP, but custom functionality). For that reason, no binding implementation guidelines exist, and different implementations may deviate from each other. Some combinations of client/server will work well, others might not work at all. Clients and servers are not even required to implement it. Plus, it requires yet another port (990).
That being said, it is honestly not the worst custom feature, there are far uglier ones. But it is clearly not nearly as reliable as Explicit FTPS. No idea if and how long FileZilla Client and FileZilla Server will keep it around, it could disappear in the future.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

maru
226 Transfer OK

Re: Question about Implicit mode communication of FileZilla Server (Ver1.2.0)

#3 Post by maru » 2022-01-10 04:24

Thank you for reply.
Thank you , Mr.boco.

I didn't know the technical background because of lack of study.
Thank you for valuable information.