Possible bugs with Administration

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

edufissure3
550 Permission denied
First name: Eduardo
Last name: Gutierrez

Possible bugs with Administration

#1 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-16 12:42

Im using Filezilla Server for educational purpose, and im facing some problems:
The filezilla ftp server is running in Ubuntu 20.04.
The gui is connecting from same pc and from a vm using Vbox with Windows 10.

1 - Users/Group permissions in GUI: when you change anything, it always shows the last user/group modifications.
ex: if you have different users, in the last user you enter, put a folder called /test in read only mode, all the users would have then the folder test with read only mode. No matter what setup they had before.
Note: i downloaded the last nightly build and seems that works. Any ETA to 1.3.0 ?

2 - Now from a clean boot of my system, i execute the gui: and seems i have to run the file-server before.
Yesterday i tried to open different guis, but it said that the server in port 14148 is already in use.
Summarizing when executing gui, seems that sometimes also launch server, other only launches the gui and you have to launch server service.
Would be nice to simplify this, perhaps an option on start up menu, or establish that when you launch gui you also launch server, or in the other hand you have to launch server, and then gui.
I didnt found this in any documentation.
The easy solution from me were that gui, also launches service filezilla server if not launched yet.
An explanation about filezilla-server, filezilla-server-gui and the filezilla status/start/stop service, and filezilla-server-impersonation would be nice
Selection_643.png
Selection_643.png (65.12 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
3- Seems error with listeners:
Selection_644.png
Selection_644.png (40.6 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
Ive a ubuntu pc with filezilla server. So if i want to connect from other computer lets say 192.168.1.49 and port 14148 it doesnt work. Dont know why i had to add 0.0.0.0 and port 14148, and then i can connect from the other pc to my server to configure it. I need also some explanation about listeners, ips and ports used, if they have to use differnt ports or same ports.

4 - User have to have the / virtual path ? Its possible to assign only /test /srv/webapp/test ?

5 - In some place i read about performance. Yoy have to set a multiple of threads of your server/pc... Which are recommended values ? ex: if i have a pc with 4 threads, the number for best performance, should be 8,15,16 ?? Any recommendations or range ( in general case)

6 - If you connect from two different places and use gui, they are not refreshed till you disconnect and connect again...Perhaps for now should be noticed not to use more than one at same time, and in near future improve, with live update of setup, when any user or admin, modifies the setup...

7 - Filezilla Server on Windows 10. I want to use as system user lets say miquel, an user of the system already created. Doesnt work. From client cant connect to server with user miquel and his password. But if you create a new user in system, lets say miquel2, then it works...you can connect from client using miquel2 credentials.

8 - Difficulties to register in this forum: i had to use edufissure@msn.com as mail but wasnt able to activate account, despite of many resends. Also tried with mavillamazares@hotmail.com...didnt work either. Tried then with edufissure@gmail.com...and in the register form said that gmail accounts are forbidden, and finally with egutie9@xtec.cat i was able to activate the account...I didnt find a way to contact a moderator in the forum without login.

9 - If you buy filezilla server with comprenhesive tutorial documentation, Its updated ? If you buy lets say 1.2.0...then id have the right to have the updated tutorial when 1.3.0,1.4.0 and so on would be launched ??
Sorry for the long post, but id like to begin with my students of vocational education this week...As the past week we were working with Filezilla Client.
Thank for your work, seems that after many years without active development of filezilla-server, these last months, it has under heavy active development.

pd: if i can have some kind of assistence in this doubts/problems, i offer myself in next months to update the documentation

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Possible bugs with Administration

#2 Post by botg » 2022-01-17 10:39

1) Workaround: Click Add and then Remove under the mounts after switching users
2) Permissions-wise not ideal, you'd get a UAC prompt on every admin interface start.
3) You don't enter where the connections come from, you are entering the network interfaces, via their IP addresses, to listen for connections.
4) No. But unless otherwise configured, clients always try with / first
5) I'd go with half of the cores available.
6) Don't leave the configuration dialog open if you are not actively making changes. Communicate with your other administrators before making changes.
7) Are both accounts _local_ Windows accounts, e.g. not part of a domain etc..?
8) Contact your email provider, it is rejecting mails.

edufissure3
550 Permission denied

#3 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-17 10:56

botg wrote:
2022-01-17 10:39
1) Workaround: Click Add and then Remove under the mounts after switching users
2) Permissions-wise not ideal, you'd get a UAC prompt on every admin interface start.
3) You don't enter where the connections come from, you are entering the network interfaces, via their IP addresses, to listen for connections.
4) No. But unless otherwise configured, clients always try with / first
5) I'd go with half of the cores available.
6) Don't leave the configuration dialog open if you are not actively making changes. Communicate with your other administrators before making changes.
7) Are both accounts _local_ Windows accounts, e.g. not part of a domain etc..?
8) Contact your email provider, it is rejecting mails.
1 - Seems as said that nightly build at least 15/1/22 works.... so seems solved in next release any ETA ?

2 - In windows seems if you launch gui, you launch also fileserver service. In ubuntu seems you have to launch the service first: systemctl start filezilla-server.service... and then execute the gui.

3 - You dont enter like DNS eth0 or similar.... You have to execute for example ip a in ubuntu and add the ips of the network interfaces when you want to listen. Am i right ? Perhpas would be easier as dns server add the network interfaces where you want to listen to ?

4 - I dont undersand No. can you explain better plese ? Is mandatory to have the / virtual path ?

5 - Ok

6 - Ok, perhaps id open a feature request with some kind of reload/live update....

7 - Perhaps thats the problem, in my class the user, could be from a domain, and when we create a new user then works. If the user is from domain then it doesnt work ( as is not a local user perhaps ?.

8 - its the first forum in 20 years or more that i cant register :) msn.com, hotmail.com ....many of them also from and the funny thing is that in register form it says gmail.com is not accepted anymore because of spam...but my account @xtec.cat, is an account from gmail and i lets me register and activate account ...

Thanks for your help, i apreciate your work.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2022-01-17 11:37

1 - When it's done. There is no problem running the Nightly, I do it all the time.
2 - In Windows, the server engine is installed as a service, it is running continuously, even when the administration interface is not. I don't know if running the server engine in daemon mode is supported on Linux/Mac, but I'm sure it will be, eventually.
3 - Each network interface has one or more IPs assigned. That/these IP(s) is what you would enter. Note that the special 0.0.0.0 and :: addresses will cover all assigned addresses.
4 - It would be very impractical to not have a Home directory (using the virtual root /). It is where most clients start at when the user logs in. Note that the virtual root can represent each and any physical directory you want (even if empty).
7 - Yes, domain accounts are not local, but roaming. It might be possible to cache them locally.
8 - Fact is that a big share of the spam posters tried to register with a GMail account, as Google gives a sh*t as to who uses their services and for what purpose.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

edufissure3
550 Permission denied

#5 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-17 17:57

boco wrote:
2022-01-17 11:37
1 - When it's done. There is no problem running the Nightly, I do it all the time.
2 - In Windows, the server engine is installed as a service, it is running continuously, even when the administration interface is not. I don't know if running the server engine in daemon mode is supported on Linux/Mac, but I'm sure it will be, eventually.
3 - Each network interface has one or more IPs assigned. That/these IP(s) is what you would enter. Note that the special 0.0.0.0 and :: addresses will cover all assigned addresses.
4 - It would be very impractical to not have a Home directory (using the virtual root /). It is where most clients start at when the user logs in. Note that the virtual root can represent each and any physical directory you want (even if empty).
7 - Yes, domain accounts are not local, but roaming. It might be possible to cache them locally.
8 - Fact is that a big share of the spam posters tried to register with a GMail account, as Google gives a sh*t as to who uses their services and for what purpose.
1 - Hope would be soon, as the bug is important.
2 - Yes we can say for my tests that filezilla server service and gui are "glued", when you execute the gui you launch the server. In ubuntu you can execute the gui but if the filezillar server service is not launched you got something like:
2022-01-17T17:41:12.723Z == [Administration Server] Listening on ::1:14148 (tls_mode = 1).
2022-01-17T17:41:13.723Z !! [Administration Server] Couldn't bind on 192.168.1.49:14148. Reason: 99. Retrying in 1 seconds.
2022-01-17T17:41:14.723Z !! [Administration Server] Couldn't bind on 192.168.1.49:14148. Reason: 99. Retrying in 1 seconds.
2022-01-17T17:41:15.723Z !! [Administration Server] Couldn't bind on 192.168.1.49:14148. Reason: 99. Retrying in 1 seconds.
2022-01-17T17:41:16.723Z !! [Administration Server] Couldn't bind on 192.168.1.49:14148. Reason: 99. Retrying in 1 seconds.
2022-01-17T17:41:17.723Z !! [Administration Server] Couldn't bind on 192.168.1.49:14148. Reason: 99. Retrying in 1 seconds.
^Ceduardo@MiPcLinux:/opt/filezilla-server/bin$ ^C

So perhaps would be a nice idea to launch service at start, or at least offer an option, like save password on start....So when you launch the gui, if service is not launched it launch the service. something like:
$systemctl start filezilla-server.service

3 - Sorry im a beginner here in ftp servers, I dont understand this. So i can suppose that by default you can connect from whatever computer to the server as special 0.0.0.0 and :: addresses are enabled ?
@botg told me that you dont put there ips adresses of the computers that you want to use the gui from remote. Your answer seems that id have to make a list of computers where i want to connect from to filezilla-server to use the gui and configure the server remotely. Perhaps some example.... Sorry for my bad english.
Every computer would have the same port 14148, or every different computer a different port....i think different port if you want to connect from more than one place simultaneously.

4 - I have for example a webserver, i have a folder called webapp, with two folders inside: test and production. I want user joe can write and read in test...and only read in production.... So here / is very forced in my opinion, and quite unnecessary....When you have to manage different kind of permissions in different folders...

7 - So any way to use domain accounts in fileserver similar way to sytem-users ??

8 - As told in 20 years is the only forum i wasnt able to login..and the funny thing is that i have to use a gmail-related account (xtec.cat is a mail service provided by gmail)

Thanks for your support and help...Sorry for my bad english

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2022-01-19 09:22

You shouldn't use the nightly. It is only for testing, it's not meant for production use.
@botg told me that you dont put there ips adresses of the computers that you want to use the gui from remote. Your answer seems that id have to make a list of computers where i want to connect from to filezilla-server to use the gui and configure the server remotely.
You need to do the opposite. Enter the IP addresses the server is listening on.

edufissure3
550 Permission denied

#7 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-19 16:14

botg wrote:
2022-01-19 09:22
You shouldn't use the nightly. It is only for testing, it's not meant for production use.
@botg told me that you dont put there ips adresses of the computers that you want to use the gui from remote. Your answer seems that id have to make a list of computers where i want to connect from to filezilla-server to use the gui and configure the server remotely.
You need to do the opposite. Enter the IP addresses the server is listening on.
Thanks, and the port are supposed to be the same ? or i have to change the port from every computer filezill-server listening from ?
Somehting like:
192.168.2.1 port 14148
192.168.0.1 port 14148
192.168.4.1 port 14148
Im on ubuntu server with this three interfaces, acting as a router....so for example you have a lan 192.168.0.5,192.168.0.6,192.168.0.10,,,,connecting as gateway to 192.168.0.1
Another net is the 192.168.2.x and the other 192.168.4.X

ABout using nightly builds dont worry, is for educational purpose.

The last thing i dont understand if its mandatory to add a / in every user as virtual path. In groups is not. I have created groups without / and seems to work fine.

Thanks for you help

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2022-01-19 18:31

Is that three different network segments, e. g. 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.4.0/24? If so, then yes, for each network segment you need to specify the listening socket. Unless you simply used 0.0.0.0:14148 of course, listening on port 14148 of all assigned IP addresses.

The port is just a number, and it is not unique in itself. Each and every IP address assigned to the interface has a port with that number. That means, you can use the same port number for different assigned addresses, as long as the same combination of IP:PORT (called a "socket") doesn't occur multiple times.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###