Native folder permissions

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

edufissure3
550 Permission denied
First name: Eduardo
Last name: Gutierrez

Native folder permissions

#1 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-27 17:49

Hi, id need to know which user/group filezilla server uses in windows/ubuntu, just to give read/write/execution permissions to folders that would be shared and used by FTp users.

So if i create the ftpuser Oscar ( and is not a system user, only ftp user), and i want to access /srv/ftp/webapp.... He would access not as system user, but ftp user. So permissions in Native path are given to the filezilla server user/group.

Thanks in advance sorry for my bad english

boco
Contributor

Re: Native folder permissions

#2 Post by boco » 2022-01-27 18:53

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54457

You should read the above topic, there are useful tips for running FileZilla Server under a different user (default seems to be root - root), which is clearly advisable, from a security standpoint.

@botg @oibaf: From what I know, some FTP daemons run as user "nobody" under Linux, not root. Would that be possible for the FileZilla Server, too?
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

edufissure3
550 Permission denied
First name: Eduardo
Last name: Gutierrez

#3 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-29 00:12

boco wrote:
2022-01-27 18:53
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54457

You should read the above topic, there are useful tips for running FileZilla Server under a different user (default seems to be root - root), which is clearly advisable, from a security standpoint.

@botg @oibaf: From what I know, some FTP daemons run as user "nobody" under Linux, not root. Would that be possible for the FileZilla Server, too?
Perhaps like postgres, wildfly or mysql, a group and an user called filezilla-server or similar, would be nice, or like apache instead of www-data some kind of ftp-data.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2022-01-31 13:22

Yes, the server could be run root-less, though in that case features like impersonation won't work and listening on privileged ports still requires the corresponding capability.