Unable to Connect Server to Windows SMB Network Directories

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Finnigan
500 Command not understood
First name: 123
Last name: 123

Unable to Connect Server to Windows SMB Network Directories

#1 Post by Finnigan » 2022-04-01 17:14

Hello,

I manage a Windows-based network. We have a new machine that is not windows based and can only access files via FTP. Our engineers have all of their program files stored in a Windows directory on the Data server that all of the other Windows-based machines grab the program files from.

I don't want the FTP server to be directly on the data server for security reasons so I installed the FileZilla server on a separate host machine. I'm trying to get the FileZilla server to connect to the network share somehow if this is possible? I gave the FTP host computer permission to access the folder over the network and made a user in FileZilla Server called FTP and added a "/" for the virtual path and for the Native path I've tried putting in \\10.3.20.107\D:\Data\DNC\DTGL

I try connecting to it on my client and I get "Directory listing failed"

Is this even possible to do on FileZilla?

Thanks!

tidg
First name: Tidg
Last name: Warne

Re: Unable to Connect Server to Windows SMB Network Directories

#2 Post by tidg » 2022-04-02 08:35

Make sure Network discovery is enabled on all computers. Make sure File and printer sharing is enabled on all computers. Toggle Turn on password protected sharing to off and retest. Make sure you are logging in using the same account you entered when you added users to Share with.
Last edited by boco on 2022-04-02 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Possible Spam removed.

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

#3 Post by iam_sysop » 2022-04-03 03:38

Finnigan wrote:
2022-04-01 17:14
Hello,

I manage a Windows-based network. We have a new machine that is not windows based and can only access files via FTP. Our engineers have all of their program files stored in a Windows directory on the Data server that all of the other Windows-based machines grab the program files from.

I don't want the FTP server to be directly on the data server for security reasons so I installed the FileZilla server on a separate host machine. I'm trying to get the FileZilla server to connect to the network share somehow if this is possible? I gave the FTP host computer permission to access the folder over the network and made a user in FileZilla Server called FTP and added a "/" for the virtual path and for the Native path I've tried putting in \\10.3.20.107\D:\Data\DNC\DTGL

Thanks!
The UNC path is wrong. On windows, UNC paths are as follows -- \\SERVERNAME\sharename\subfolders

SO - if you've shared the D:\DATA folder as \data then your UNC path will be \\10.3.20.107\Data\DNC\DTGL

The sharename is the root folder past the server name -- you won't have a drive letter with a colon on a windows share.

If you're trying to be secure - you should only share the folder your FTP server needs access to - so the share would be mapped as D:\Data\DNC\DGTL - the folder to share would be DGTL (named DGTL) -- set your user rights in your Windows share for that share - then when you access it, you'd be using \\10.3.20.107\DGTL as the path in FileZilla Server. Then you need to configure your permissions for the user that will connect to FileZilla (in the server admin) so they can access the share via FTP.

Finnigan

#4 Post by Finnigan » 2022-04-04 15:17

iam_sysop wrote:
2022-04-03 03:38
Finnigan wrote:
2022-04-01 17:14
Hello,

Thanks!
The UNC path is wrong. On windows, UNC paths are as follows -- \\SERVERNAME\sharename\subfolders

SO - if you've shared the D:\DATA folder as \data then your UNC path will be \\10.3.20.107\Data\DNC\DTGL

The sharename is the root folder past the server name -- you won't have a drive letter with a colon on a windows share.

If you're trying to be secure - you should only share the folder your FTP server needs access to - so the share would be mapped as D:\Data\DNC\DGTL - the folder to share would be DGTL (named DGTL) -- set your user rights in your Windows share for that share - then when you access it, you'd be using \\10.3.20.107\DGTL as the path in FileZilla Server. Then you need to configure your permissions for the user that will connect to FileZilla (in the server admin) so they can access the share via FTP.
Thanks for the helpful response!

I corrected the UNC path but I'm still unable to connect to the directory? I also enabled the sharing as mentioned by tidg. Before this post, I set the user with the server on it with modify rights. Outside of the FTP instance, I'm able to manually create and delete files in the directory with no issue. When initiating a connection to the FTP server I get this error message:
[EXPIRED LINK]

Here's a screenshot of the user:
[EXPIRED LINK]

Outside of user configurations do I need to configure anything else?
What is the virtual path for? I just threw in a "/" if that's fine?

Thanks!
Last edited by botg on 2022-08-02 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed expired links. Highlights once again the danger of using third-party websites for images.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2022-04-05 04:46

I don't see anything wrong with the entry in FileZilla Server.

However, some annotations:
- Is the network share in any way restricted (password, restricted to accounts etc.)?
- FileZilla Server runs under the SYSTEM account by default, this account might not have access to network resources.

You might have more success with a permanently mounted network resource associated with a drive letter (and that mounted drive path entered in FZ Server). The network drive must be mounted as Administrator or it may be unavailable to FileZilla Server.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Finnigan

#6 Post by Finnigan » 2022-04-06 14:24

boco wrote:
2022-04-05 04:46

- Is the network share in any way restricted (password, restricted to accounts etc.)?
- FileZilla Server runs under the SYSTEM account by default, this account might not have access to network resources.

You might have more success with a permanently mounted network resource associated with a drive letter (and that mounted drive path entered in FZ Server). The network drive must be mounted as Administrator or it may be unavailable to FileZilla Server.
Appreciate the information!

Is there a way to change what user the server runs under? We have a default local admin that's not attached to the domain on all of the PCs so I'm assuming that's what you're referring to with the "SYSTEM account". While configuring and running the server it was done while logged into the domain admin account. Is there a way to choose what user the server runs under so I can select the domain admin account? I'm unable to add a local account to network shares.

Thanks again!

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

#7 Post by iam_sysop » 2022-04-06 15:14

Finnigan wrote:
2022-04-06 14:24
boco wrote:

Is there a way to change what user the server runs under? We have a default local admin that's not attached to the domain on all of the PCs so I'm assuming that's what you're referring to with the "SYSTEM account". While configuring and running the server it was done while logged into the domain admin account. Is there a way to choose what user the server runs under so I can select the domain admin account? I'm unable to add a local account to network shares.

Thanks again!
Open the Services Management Console - Start -> Run -> services.msc (or use the Start Menu and locate "Windows Administrative Tools" then find Services console) and open the FileZilla Server service properties (right-click) and stop the service. Windows will then allow you to make SOME configuration changes. The account that a Windows service runs under is chosen on the Logon tab. You will need the account password as well and it must be stored when the service properties demand it if you change from the default.

It is recommended to then restart the machine in question before attempting further testing, although restarting only the FileZilla Server service may be sufficient.

Finnigan

#8 Post by Finnigan » 2022-04-06 16:50

iam_sysop wrote:
2022-04-06 15:14
Finnigan wrote:
2022-04-06 14:24
boco wrote:

Thanks again!
Open the Services Management Console - Start -> Run -> services.msc (or use the Start Menu and locate "Windows Administrative Tools" then find Services console) and open the FileZilla Server service properties (right-click) and stop the service. Windows will then allow you to make SOME configuration changes. The account that a Windows service runs under is chosen on the Logon tab. You will need the account password as well and it must be stored when the service properties demand it if you change from the default.

It is recommended to then restart the machine in question before attempting further testing, although restarting only the FileZilla Server service may be sufficient.
This solution worked! I greatly appreciate the help.

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2022-04-07 01:24

Sneak peek from current Nighly:
serveraccmgmt.jpg
serveraccmgmt.jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

tyra
504 Command not implemented

#10 Post by tyra » 2022-08-02 18:53

Hi at all
I have a similar problem and can't figure it out how to solve it. I'm using a Windows 10 WM with FileZilla Server 1.5.1 on an Unraid System (6.10.3) for the SMB sharing in the network. I tried different settings, but nothing worked for me until now. the shares are restricted with accountnames and passwords.

the following has been tested:
- file path in FZServer set with network share (ex. Y:\)
- file path in FZServer set with local ip adress (ex. 192.168.100.2)
- changed the account for the filezilla service to the wm user account (admin rights, network sharing with identical credentials)
- tried the new right management options
- tried a different account (newly created) only for the network sharing, tried as well this one with set as services account and also in with the new rights options

i only get these errors:

Code: Select all

<Date> Info [Type] Message
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> FTP Session 2 *.*.*.* xsshare [Trace] tls_layer_impl::on_read()
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> FTP Session 2 *.*.*.* xsshare [Command] CWD /s_games
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] caller::call: Enqueued reqres.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] caller::call: sent channel::ready event.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] caller::on_ready: ops: 1
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Entering channel::send(9)
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] send: before on_write(): buf size: 23, out_fd = -1
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] send: after on_write(): buf size: 0, err = 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare/impersonator process [Trace] fz::impersonator::process::operator()(const fz::event_base&)::<lambda(fz::process*, fz::process_event_flag)>: flag: 2, eh: 0x254a345a6c0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare/impersonator process [Trace] fz::impersonator::process::operator()(const fz::event_base&)::<lambda(fz::process*, fz::process_event_flag)>: flag: 1, eh: 0x254a345a6c0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare/impersonator process [Trace] process::on_process_read: got header: fd = -1, payload_size = 44
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Channel event: flag = 4
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Channel event: invoking on_read(): buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read()
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read: trying to deserialize: buf size: 0, fd buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read: tried to deserialize: err: 120, buf size: 0, fd buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read: trying to deserialize: buf size: 44, fd buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read: tried to deserialize: err: 0, buf size: 0, fd buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Channel event: invoked on_read(): buf size: 0, err: 0, can_recv: 1, has_in_msg: 1, waiting_for_read_event: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] caller::on_ready: ops: 2
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] entering channel::recv
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::recv: deserialization: got message 10. Err: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] sending socket read event: err: 0, can_recv: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] on_can_recv: [fz::rmp::message<fz::tvfs::backend::info_response_tag (fz::result, bool, fz::local_filesys::type, long long, fz::datetime, int)>] processing.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Stopping timeout timer with id 22.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Added new timeout timer with id 23.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] [fz::rmp::message<fz::tvfs::backend::info_response_tag (fz::result, bool, fz::local_filesys::type, long long, fz::datetime, int)>]: dispatching message
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] entering channel::recv
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::recv: deserialization: not enough data. Try again later.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> FTP Session 2 *.*.*.* xsshare [Response] 550 Couldn't open the file or directory
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] on_can_recv: got EAGAIN, waiting for next event.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Channel event: flag = 4
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Channel event: invoking on_read(): buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read()
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read: trying to deserialize: buf size: 0, fd buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::on_read: tried to deserialize: err: 120, buf size: 0, fd buf size: 0
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] channel::recv: read_fd: EAGAIN.
<29.07.2022 10:34:40> File-based Authenticator/impersonator client, user: xsshare [Trace] Channel event: invoked on_read(): buf size: 0, err: 0, can_recv: 1, has_in_msg: 0, waiting_for_read_event: 1
when i create a share in public mode (without credentials), it works. but it is not an option for me because not all user in the network should access all files.

maybe someone has an idea what the problem is? thanks for the efforts.

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#11 Post by oibaf » 2022-08-03 06:30

when i create a share in public mode (without credentials), it works. but it is not an option for me because not all user in the network should access all files.
Does the user you're running the FileZilla Server service under have the credentials to access the smb share stored? See here: https://superuser.com/a/344933/104755

tyra

#12 Post by tyra » 2022-08-03 09:42

yes. i tested it with the user account of the vm (has admin rights) which uses exactly the same credentials (acc name and pw) for the smb shares. i mapped in FZS the connected network shares from windows, which works without a problem in the windows explorer. the mentioned

Code: Select all

net use
command list all the mapped network shares correctly. i even tried the option for the delayed service start, because i read somewhere that windows takes some times to auto connect to them on startup (credentials are saved). the service could running before the connection is established. all that didn't work.
therefore i tried to create a new seperate windows user account with new credential, again with identical credential for the smb shares. did test all combination with this new account again, but this doesn't work either.
i even tried to set the ownership of the shared network drive to the same smb account which is assigned to the vm (for FZS). normaly the shared folders have not e specific owner in Unraid.

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#13 Post by oibaf » 2022-08-03 10:52

tyra wrote:
2022-08-03 09:42
yes. i tested it with the user account of the vm (has admin rights) which uses exactly the same credentials (acc name and pw) for the smb shares.
Is this "user account of the vm" the user the filezilla-server service is running under?
therefore i tried to create a new seperate windows user account with new credential, again with identical credential for the smb shares.
Did you make the filezilla-server service run under this user?

tyra

#14 Post by tyra » 2022-08-03 12:46

yes and yes. tried each account either as service account or with the right management options in FZS.

boco
Contributor

#15 Post by boco » 2022-08-03 14:22

Did you map the SMB shares from a command line shell with Admin rights? Thanks to UAC, mapping shares in Explorer or a "normal" command line does not automatically make them available when running elevated.