FileZilla Server Forgot its Config after Windows Server in-place Upgrade?

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Accuraty
500 Command not understood
First name: Jeremy
Last name: Farrance

FileZilla Server Forgot its Config after Windows Server in-place Upgrade?

#1 Post by Accuraty » 2022-04-24 20:51

I've had a FileZilla Server running in our offices for a while. It was installed and setup v1.3.0 on a Windows Server 2019 Standard box. No problems ever, admittedly it was only in use a few weeks. But we've used FileZilla Server for 10+ years, though this was our first experience with the new UI...

This weekend we did an in-place upgrade on the server to Windows Server 2022.

Unexpectedly, FileZilla lost its config for reasons we do not understand. Its literally back to a fresh install state.

Anyone know:
- why this happened?
- how to find the old config and move/restore it?

Thanks in advance!!

boco
Contributor

Re: FileZilla Server Forgot its Config after Windows Server in-place Upgrade?

#2 Post by boco » 2022-04-24 21:08

It's a whole new server, not only a new UI.

The server runs under the SYSTEM account by default (as Service). In this case, the config is saved under the system profile (usually "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server"). The problem may be, however, that the system profile account, contrary to the user accounts, does not have its data migrated to the new OS on upgrades.

Do you still have Windows.old? the old configuration might still be in the old system profile directory.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

psmith2100
504 Command not implemented
First name: Paul
Last name: Smith

Re: FileZilla Server Forgot its Config after Windows Server in-place Upgrade?

#3 Post by psmith2100 » 2022-04-29 20:15

I had the same problem, and my FileZilla Server 1.4.0 lost its config after upgrading Windows 10 (1909) to Windows 10 (20H2). Thankfully, I have a basic configuraiton and was able to reconfigure FileZill Server from scratch relatively easily. I can see how that would be very difficult for a very complex configuration. I was quite suprised that I was unable to connect to my FTP server after the Windows OS upgrade.