FZ-Server Upgrade not working if Service-User isn't "System"

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

CBComputerservice
500 Syntax error

FZ-Server Upgrade not working if Service-User isn't "System"

#1 Post by CBComputerservice » 2022-05-03 13:39

Hello there :)

Is just wanted to give you all a hint, that upgrading (in my case from 1.3 to 1.4) isn't working when the FZ-Service isn't running under the "System" Account. Her's a screenshot showing whats happening:
FZS_1.4_Upgrade-Fehler1.png
FZS_1.4_Upgrade-Fehler1.png (49.13 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
It took me a while to recover 1.3 back into working state (no problem, its a lab-system) and also on second try the same error came up. The Upgrade was working (at least partially) only after I did shut down the service manually. Then the Installer worked without further error messages.

After logging into the Admin-Interface the whole config was gone. Looking into services.msc revealed, that the server once again runs under system-account instead of the account that was used before the "upgrade".

So, with the right information, one can work around all the issues, but for less experienced admins (I wouldn't say "users" for a Server-System :D) this is not really intuitive.

So, in my opinion two improvements would be welcome:

1.) FZ-Server-Setup should give the possibility to choose the service-credentials during setup.
2.) FZ-Server-Setup should keep the credentials for the server-service in place, instead of always revert them back to "System".

Greetings, Claus