Blocking Access to Specific files/subdirectories within a Parent

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Cryptic
500 Command not understood

Blocking Access to Specific files/subdirectories within a Parent

#1 Post by Cryptic » 2022-06-07 16:20

I am setting up user accounts for some lower-level admins to be able to administrate several files and subdirectories within a server. However, ideally I need to give these admins recursive access to a specific root directory while blocking access to certain sub-directories that contain authentication keys for higher-level systems that they should not be given access to

So far I have just been mounting the specific sub-folders they need as virtual drives in a more "whitelist-style" access, but this has not allowed me to give access to the root directory itself (in which there are files they would need to modify) and it also requires me to manually mount every single other subdirectory in the root directory which is a massive pain.

Is there a way to give access to a root directory but block read/write access to specific sub-directories and/or files within that directory?

I am currently using FileZilla Server 1.3.0 on Windows Server 2019

boco
Contributor

Re: Blocking Access to Specific files/subdirectories within a Parent

#2 Post by boco » 2022-06-07 17:08

Always use the latest version of the server, 1.3.0 has some known problems.

1. First grant access to the root directory, this will include all subdirectories.
2. Next, define the subdirectories the user should *not* have access to as resources and set Access mode to "Disabled". That will lock the subdirectory from being accessed by the user (error 550).

Note: The subdirectory is locked in the virtual filesystem, so, you do not need to enter any physical path for that entry, as long as Access mode is "Disabled". The physical path input field is even locked for that Access mode.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Cryptic
500 Command not understood

Re: Blocking Access to Specific files/subdirectories within a Parent

#3 Post by Cryptic » 2022-06-08 02:09

That works! Thank you!

I'll be sure to update the server version while I'm implementing this fully as well.