Limit concurrent sessions

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

niall
500 Command not understood
First name: Niall
Last name: Flynn

Limit concurrent sessions

#1 Post by niall » 2022-07-14 12:13

Hi All,

Is there a way to limit concurrent sessions per user, group or globally? I have some customers that are connecting with over 20 concurrent sessions that I need to stop. On the older versions I put in concurrent limits per user.

Great work guys Im loving the newer application versions!

Thanks
Niall

boco
Contributor

Re: Limit concurrent sessions

#2 Post by boco » 2022-07-14 15:42

Now that you mention it, I see that there are only speed limits. Limiting concurrent connections (especially tight limits) has caused much mischief already, as bad configuration of systems can cause connections to accumulate (not closing properly and in a timely manner). You would probably prevent some customers from transferring properly, that way.

Not sure if that feature makes it back in the future, but even if it will, most certainly there will be a sane minimum. An FTP server must be able to handle thousands of connections concurrently, according to load. 20 connections is very low, no need to limit that yet. When going over thousand per customer, limiting makes sense.

Lt's hear what a developer has to say about that. @botg @oibaf
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

niall
500 Command not understood
First name: Niall
Last name: Flynn

Re: Limit concurrent sessions

#3 Post by niall » 2022-07-14 16:12

Hi Boco,

Restricting the number of sessions per user (not globally) has served me well in the past as we are hosting a large quantity of very small files and if every has 26 concurrent sessions its a lot of overhead. It was convenient to put the restriction on the server and not have to request them to 'change their ways' :-)

I hope it makes it back as it keeps everything tidy!

Thanks,
Niall