Error: 503 Use AUTH first - curlftpfs

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ou2mame
500 Command not understood

Error: 503 Use AUTH first - curlftpfs

#1 Post by ou2mame » 2022-08-06 19:32

I'm trying to get my linux laptop to mount the FTP to a local folder using curlftpfs, and I keep running into issues. Does anyone know where to begin? I can mount the ftp account as a network drive in Windows 10, access the account through filezilla client on windows, but on linux it keeps failing with the 503 error.

This is all on a local network. When I have the protocol set to "Require explicit FTP over TLS", the error is 503 Use AUTH first. If I set it to "Explicit FTP over TLS and insecure plain FTP", the error is "550 Couldn't open the file or directory".

I'm able to connect with filezilla on the same linux machine. I'm not sure what the issue is here.

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: Error: 503 Use AUTH first - curlftpfs

#2 Post by oibaf » 2022-08-08 06:42

According to curlftpfs documentation, you must pass the ssl option to the mount command, in order to connect securely. This might be helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CurlFt ... ted_server

The fact you get a file not found error when connecting insecurely, might mean that you've not correctly set up the mount point. Another possibility is that curlftpfs is doing something not standard. Can you also post the log of the server for that?

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#3 Post by oibaf » 2022-08-08 07:28

I confirm curlftpfs is doing something non-standard: issuing the "LIST -a" command, which the FileZilla FTP Server interprets as "List the content of the directory -a or provide info about the file -a", whilst curlftpfs uses "-a" as an option to the command, which is however non-standard.

You might want to take this up to the curlftpfs maintainer.

ou2mame
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by ou2mame » 2022-08-08 19:19

Thank you so much! I was looking at an option list apparently of a previous version of curlftpfs and it didn't have the list command option. That helped me mount the server. Filezilla couldn't understand the - a.

Now I'm having another issue where the folders are appearing empty, yet the ftp functions fine from other ftp clients. I might have to move on to sshfs, but I was hoping to use ftp. I'm gonna have to do some more digging and bug testing, but I'm halfway there!