Cannot use network shares with 1.61 but in 0.9x

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ChrisVH1982
500 Command not understood
First name: Christian
Last name: van Haut

Cannot use network shares with 1.61 but in 0.9x

#1 Post by ChrisVH1982 » 2022-12-27 15:23

Hello community,

I have been using FileZille 0.9x for ages and decided to upgrade to 1.61. Unfortunately, the setup didn't migrate the settings and after a couple of attempts I decided to start from scratch.

FileZilla is installed on a Windows server to access both local files and data located on Windows network shares. Accessing network shares worked fine in 0.9x. To do this, I granted a domain service account full control to the required shares and ran the FileZilla service under that service account. Because in the GUI I couldn't enter an UNC path, I edited the configuration file and restarted the service.

With 1.61 I can access to local files without a problem but I am getting error 550 for network shares. What I did:

Under "Rights Management", I entered the domain service account without domain.

As Local user:
1. Create user with password (Auth: Require a password to log in)
2. Disabled: "Use system credentials also for accessing files and directories" => So it should use the default system user (Service Account) that worked with 0.9x
3. Directories / => \\server\share (Service account has full permission to this share)

As Domain user
1. Create user (Auth: Use system credentails to log in)
2. Enabled: "Use system credentials also for accessing files and directories" => So it should use the domain user
3. Directories / => \\server\share => Domain user has full permission to this share

Update: Running FileZilla Service as service account seem to do the trick. However, two downsides:
1. Clicking a share takes from 1-20 seconds for the contents to show up (Disk spin-up is not the problem)
2. What is "Rights Management" for if the service accounts still needs to run under the service account?!