OK with Filezilla client but not with an external device

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

poraquiviene
500 Command not understood
First name: S
Last name: P

OK with Filezilla client but not with an external device

#1 Post by poraquiviene » 2023-01-18 15:50

Hi, I usually don't use FTP so in advance sorry for my lack of knoweldges. Below I try to give as much information as possible to get this fixed once for all

On my PC, Filezilla client is able to send files to Filezilla server using the default F.server IP address (127.0.0.1), an user and password that I have created in the F.server admin interface (user with a respective virtual and native path that I can see in my file explorer. from the file explorer I can open "ftp://user:user@127.0.0.1" to see the files stored in my "user" FTP folder, I can telnet 127.0.0.1 21)

Connected directly to my PC, I also have a streamer/recorder device (<redacted advertisement>) that is able to upload by FTP the recordings that it makes on its SD/USB drives, therefore I consider it also as a FTP client. Using the same user credentials and same F.server IP address I cannot upload any files (I tried different files that are stored on USB or SD card, all with only few Mbs size. Files are good because I can reproduce them on my PC): It keeps trying to upload the file without returning any error message, unless if in the upload path text box (in the recorder web Gui) I add "ftp://" before "127.0.0.1" -as the recoder user manual recommends to do btw- then I have the error: "ftp fail:ftpput: can't connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused", same error if I add ":21" to the F.server IP address

I have added Filezilla server in my Windows 11 Defender firewall, opened all incoming/outcoming ports, or disabled the firewall and antivirus, closed the F.client, tried another PC, added the 192.168.1.0/24 as "Allowed IP range" in my user configuration in F.server, clicked on "Start FileZilla Server" icon my desktop ... but it is still not possible to upload from my recorder (latest firmware level and already resetted it by default)

The technical support of the recorder could send files from the same recorder model (and same firmware) to a private server on the internet which I also tried exactly as they did and with the same upload path and credentials but it was still impossible (the device keeps "uploading" but never ends...but in this case I suppose that I should go into my home router configuration and open some ports)

Would you guess what could block my LOCAL uploads?
Should I assign a specific IP address to my local F.server instead of its default 127.0.0.1? (needs to reinstall the server to do so I think)
Filezilla uses SFTP whereas my recorder uses FTP which can give more issues with firewall/security software?
Should I check if there would be any specific FTP service running and where/how?
should I care about active/passive mode, or TLS security that may prevent my upload?

Here are some copyscreens below if this can help you to see what can be wrong or missing:<removed non-working links>
Last edited by botg on 2023-01-18 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redacted advertisement

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: OK with Filezilla client but not with an external device

#2 Post by botg » 2023-01-18 16:52

127.0.0.1 is the local loopback address. You can only use it to connect to a server running on the very same machine as the client.

poraquiviene

#3 Post by poraquiviene » 2023-01-19 09:13

Thanks for your quick response!

This was what I was supposing and why I have asked how can I customize the IP address of the Filezilla FTP server?
(as a test I re-intalled F.server and assigned it a customized IP address like 192.158.1.198 but then it did not work)

I guess that it is impossible with Filezille server but I would need to set up a FTP server in Windows?
(Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Server Manager...etc)

Thanks!

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2023-01-19 09:59

By default FileZilla Server listens on all addresses assigned to the machine it is running on.

poraquiviene

#5 Post by poraquiviene » 2023-01-19 17:04

You mean that if my PC (where the F.server runs) has the IP address192.168.1.199, on the recorder side I can type "FTP://192.168.1.199" as FTP upload path?

I tried it, with my "user" and its password, but I had this permission error below (which is to me better than the initial error msg "can't connect to remote host", step by step I am getting close to the issue fix I think!):

ftp fail:ftpput: unexpected server response to STOR: 550 Permission denied

maybe the issue is simple to solve but I have looked at different place about permissions and it still does not work (even if I disabled antivirus and firewall and relaunch F.server)
my "user" permissions in F.server are read + Write and I have enabled the 2 options below (subdirectories, directory structure)
the ftp folder in C: (associated with that user in Filezilla) has normal permissions in its properties (I have even enabled all permissions for all the PC users. I am always using the PC as the admin)

Please what should I recheck/do?
Thanks!

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2023-01-20 09:31

If not using impersonation, make sure that the WIndows account the FileZilla Server service runs under (SYSTEM by default) is allowed to write to the target location. If using impersonation, make sure the impersonated Windows account has permission to write to the target.

poraquiviene

#7 Post by poraquiviene » 2023-01-20 15:29

I tried all kind of changes to see if this could fix my issue : moving the ftp folder from C: to under my user account (C:\User\...), enabling network sharing + advanced permissions on the ftp folder (not directly linked but to try), etc..

Finally just changing the native path (in the user configuration in F.server) made it finally work!!!
(I had tried it with different paths (e.g. /FTP or always with something equivalent to my native path) but just leaving it as / finally was the trick!)

Again Big Thanks botg for your quick support!!