failed to retrieve directory listing

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

dgaliffa
500 Command not understood
First name: Dylan
Last name: Galiffa

failed to retrieve directory listing

#1 Post by dgaliffa » 2023-02-09 19:27

Hello, I'm having issues connecting to a Filezilla Enterprise server that we have set up locally on our network. We have a need for an appliance to back up over FTP non secure due to its age. The server has port 21 open on the firewall and is configured to listen on the port for FTPS and FTP. We decided to test and make sure the connectivity worked before trying it from the appliance so we're trying to connect to it from a Filezilla client and every time we try to connect we keep getting this connection time out "Failed to retrieve directory listing. We can see the connection initially succeeding but then just sits at the "Retrieving directory listing..." for about 20 seconds and then timing out.

I've seen some posts about enabling passive mode/ports and we've bounced back and forth trying that on server/client and it didn't make a difference, we don't seem to have a network issue, I can ping and telnet to the Filezilla Enterprise server from the device the client is on over port 21 perfectly fine and are met with the Filezilla response from the server. Kind of grasping at straws at this point and I can't seem to find anything else on forums and other posts. Also just to note, I've updated Filezilla Enterprise to 1.6.6 and the client is now running 3.63.1 with no change.

Any thoughts by anyone here? Really appreciate any assistance I can get with this, would like to work out the issues before using it for production things.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Plain FTP is insecure. Please switch to FTP over TLS.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (172,16,121,99,247,215)
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 About to start data transfer.
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: failed to retrieve directory listing

#2 Post by botg » 2023-02-10 11:20

You not only need port 21, you also need to open the entire configured passive mode port range. Please see our Network Configuration guide for details why this is necessary.

dgaliffa
500 Command not understood
First name: Dylan
Last name: Galiffa

Re: failed to retrieve directory listing

#3 Post by dgaliffa » 2023-02-10 13:09

Ok that instantly worked, appreciate the fast response I did see some posts about the passive mode but we obviously didn't configure it properly.