Log File

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Kruglerd
500 Command not understood
First name: David
Last name: Krugler

Log File

#1 Post by Kruglerd » 2023-02-25 02:18

In past versions, the logs can be set to be a log file for each day and generates a filename fzs-YYYY-MM-DD, but now it either generates NO file, or a file that you can hardcore to FZLog.txt, but it doesn't seem to generate the desired filename "File rotation is Enabled" and "Rotate log files daily". I tried several variations, but when putting C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\Logs\, this won't create any file, and I can hardcode C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\Logs\Log.txt, but want a file for each day. Any help please....

CrimpOn
226 Transfer OK
First name: D
Last name: B

Re: Log File

#2 Post by CrimpOn » 2023-02-25 22:36

I think you are exactly correct. FileZilla creates log files with a consistent name and adds numbers to indicate logs that have been closed. The user can modify the base name, but cannot specify variables to modify the name.

The developers had several options in terms of how to handle logs. One choice might have featured allowing the administrator to customize the file name using special characters to embed variables in the name itself. (If you have ever used PuTTY, that's the method it features, with %Y, %M, %D, %H, %H, %P, etc.) With this method, "rotating" logs is much more complicated. With PuTTY, it is entirely MY responsibility to clean up the log files I create.

Another choice is to keep a fixed file name and tag a digit on the end. If we are keeping five files, then the process is fairly simple:
Delete file name .5
Rename file name .4 to .5
Rename file name .3 to .4
Rename file name .2 to .3
Rename file name .1 to .2
Rename file name with nothing to .1
Create a new file name with nothing added.

With FileZilla, each file name is clearly identified with the date and time it was created.

The source code for FileZilla is available on the web site. A person could modify the log system if it was important enough. OR... the developers may entertain requests for options in terms of how logs are handled.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2023-02-27 00:43

FileZilla Server 1.x is a complete rewrite, you cannot compare it to the old codebase. It has adopted the FileZilla Client scheme, using continuous numbering to mark the previous logs. If you decide to rotate daily, and keep 30 days (example), there will be the current log file and then the logs of 30 days in the past. The numbers can be read as age, with .30 being from 30 days prior.

Note that the current Server is 64bit and uses the 64bit Program Files directory.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Frederic.R
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by Frederic.R » 2023-04-13 03:10

hey,

I've had the same issue and it's incredibly simple (and counter intuitive): you have to put the base filename.

If you want your logs to be stored in :

Code: Select all

c:\program files\filezilla Server\logs\
you have to put the filename at the end of it:

Code: Select all

c:\program files\filezilla Server\logs\ftp_log_file.log