Security Certificate Question

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bigjohnsmall
504 Command not implemented
First name: John
Last name: Small

Security Certificate Question

#1 Post by bigjohnsmall » 2023-03-08 00:35

I apologize for my dumb questions.

THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me this last week. We have had some issues with our new Filezilla FTP Server

Now I have a domain name attached to the server... but I've had someone tell me they're having some "certificate" issues.

To fix that.... Do I need to add something to the domain... the FTP Server... or both?

Thank you again... you've all been wonderful!

boco
Contributor

Re: Security Certificate Question

#2 Post by boco » 2023-03-08 00:44

And could that "someone" be somehow more specific?

If you have attached a domain name to the server, did you also create a server certificate including that domain name? FTP clients usually complain if the hostname they used to reach the FTP server does not match what the server certificate lists it is for. For example, if the server domain/host name is foo.org and the certificate lists bar.org, the client complains.
Also, the client must not be expired or have a validity date in the future. Clients connecting to FileZilla Server securely must support at least TLS 1.2 and high grade ciphers.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

bigjohnsmall

#3 Post by bigjohnsmall » 2023-03-08 00:53

They didn't give more info.... but I can try to get that.

Do I typically need security certificate for both?

Where do you get that?

Again.... sorry for the dumb questions... the company we hired to do this has been absent for over a week now. I'm not sure where they went, but we switched to the new FTP March 1... with many little bumps in the road.

We've gotten through most of them... but it seems like this one could possibly be the final issue.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2023-03-08 09:25

Do I typically need security certificate for both?
I don't understand. What do you mean?

bigjohnsmall

#5 Post by bigjohnsmall » 2023-03-08 13:34

What needs the security certificate.... the domain (like at the registrar).... or the Filezilla FTP... or do I need to do something to both?

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2023-03-08 14:19

Security certificates are to be set for the services running on a domain name. If you want to run multiple services on a domain name (like HTTPS web servers, FTPS, SMTP etc.), each will need to have a certificate configured, although you might be able to use the same cert for all. So, the cert you configure in FileZilla Server does not apply to the web server that might also be running, nor to other services.

By default, FileZilla Server auto-configures and uses a self-signed certificate, which is, technically, perfectly valid, but it's still self-signed, and clients will complain that the corrupt trust lords of the trust industry did not sign (read: approve) it. So, if it concerns you, either configure your own certificate here that you got from a CA, or set up a Let's Encrypt one, which is also possible.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org