FTP Server Can't be Accessed from other devices on LAN.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

TheDriestScone
500 Command not understood

FTP Server Can't be Accessed from other devices on LAN.

#1 Post by TheDriestScone » 2023-11-05 02:56

Hi friendos! I'm trying to set up an ftp server on my one pc so I can use something like Free File Sync to keep my files synchronized automatically between my computers. So I don't need/want external access, just between PCs on my LAN.

Both computers are running Windows 10. On the host pc, if I open up file explorer and go to ftp://192.168.1.66 and enter the user/pass, I can access the files as expected. However if I use my other pc on the same network, there's no connection. It simply times out.
The server log doesn't show any access attempts.

My symptoms are very much like this post I found whilst searching: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24131
For my network structure, both computers are wired into a network switch, which is then connected to the router. So I don't think that should cause the same issue that cascading NAT would.

I've read the FAQ here, followed a whole bunch of different tutorials on various sites, and I'm still having trouble. I don't understand, it should work as far as I know, but it doens't.

Here are the steps I've taken:

1. I have no auxiliary anti-virus/protection installed. Only Windows Defender.
2. I've made inbound rules for the firewall for 21 in, 20 out, and the full range of passive ports for Filezilla.
3. I've verified that the server itself is configured correctly, as it's accessible from the host computer by accessing it via local IPv4.
4. Netstat shows that it is listening on port 21.
5. I am able to ping the host machine from other machines on the network.
6. FIlezilla configuration has Passive Mode enabled, it's on default settings.

This whole ordeal has been going on for a few days now, any help would be very much appreciated!
- Scone

TheDriestScone
500 Command not understood

Re: FTP Server Can't be Accessed from other devices on LAN.

#2 Post by TheDriestScone » 2023-11-05 07:59

I don't know why, but it appears that modifying the server's timeout settings may have fixed the issue. I wasn't exactly paying attention to when it started working, but it's working now.